Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Controlling HomeWorks QS using HomeWorks Illumination

Authorized Lutron Contributor

Controlling HomeWorks QS using HomeWorks Illumination

Thomas,
    We had a customer with a need to control QS shades in a HWQS system from a HomeWorks Illumination system. We thought the programming would be useful for the forum community.

Attached are sample project files from HWQS v 7.0.0 and HW Illumination v 1.65 that would represent how to connect both files over the network and use the feedback from the Illumination system to control the HomeWorks QS system.

The HWQS processor IP address 192.168.10.151 and the Illumination processor has IP address 192.168.10.201. On the HomeWorks QS side, we added a 3rd party controller in the equipment screen that will connect to the IP address of the Illumination processor over port 23 with a username and password defined on link 9 of the Illumination software addressing screen. To log into the HomeWorks Illuminations processor the username and password are entered in the username field for the 3rd party device in the HomeWorks QS software separated by a comma (illum,illum). In link 9 for the Illumination software you will want to enable monitoring for button presses as well as suppressed the prompt, replies, and bad commands.

In the Illumination system we have a 4 button keypad; at this point, it only controls true/false variables that will simply trigger the LED of the button. The HomeWorks QS system will be monitoring these buttons presses; we have added the string to the command set in the third party controller. See table attached.

In the program screen of the HomeWorks QS system, you can have each of the commands activate a certain scene in the system. For this example, we have each button turn on a single zone, 1 through 4, respectively.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails button feedback.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

****UPDATE****

There were some communication issues with the procedure described above, we apologize for any confusion. Please see this revised update:

In the HomeWorks Illumination software:

1. Create a unique username and password in the address assignment screen on link 9
    2. Check the box to monitor keypad button presses

In the HomeWorks QS software:

1. Add a third party control device in the equipment screen
    2. In the address field enter the IP address of the HomeWorks Illumination processor
    3. Do not enter a username and password
    4. Edit the command set
    5. Create a command called “login”. The communication direction should be “From 3rd party” and the command will be “LOGIN:” (this is case sensitive)
    6. Create a command called “password”. The communication direction should be “To 3rd party” and the command will be the unique username,password that was created in the HomeWorks Illumination software.
    7. Create a command for each strings you want the HomeWorks QS system to perform an action on. For example a button press on the HomeWorks illumination system to control the HomeWorks QS system the command “KBP, [01:06:01], 4. Notice that there is a space after the “KBP,” and there are two spaces after the “,” and before the button number.
    8. Check the box for the RS232 terminator and using the drop down menu select the “<CR><LF> (0D 0A)” option.
    9. In the programming screen select the 3rd party control under device location
    10. Select the Login command and assign the password command to be sent. This will allow the HomeWorks QS system to log into the HomeWorks Illumination system based on how the HomeWorks Illumination system needs to be logged into
    11. You can then program the other commands to perform the desired functionality.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have tried the above guide and eventually got it to work and work very well.The response of the qs was very quick .
    However I have a job that I want to control the qs system from multiple keypads and contact closure inputs. I understand that I cannot use keypad led feedback as this is not sent out as feedback .Is their any other way I can control the qs from an illumination lighting group ?

Quote Originally Posted by Armando B. View Post
    ****UPDATE****

There were some communication issues with the procedure described above, we apologize for any confusion. Please see this revised update:

In the HomeWorks Illumination software:

1. Create a unique username and password in the address assignment screen on link 9
    2. Check the box to monitor keypad button presses

In the HomeWorks QS software:

1. Add a third party control device in the equipment screen
    2. In the address field enter the IP address of the HomeWorks Illumination processor
    3. Do not enter a username and password
    4. Edit the command set
    5. Create a command called “login”. The communication direction should be “From 3rd party” and the command will be “LOGIN:” (this is case sensitive)
    6. Create a command called “password”. The communication direction should be “To 3rd party” and the command will be the unique username,password that was created in the HomeWorks Illumination software.
    7. Create a command for each strings you want the HomeWorks QS system to perform an action on. For example a button press on the HomeWorks illumination system to control the HomeWorks QS system the command “KBP, [01:06:01], 4. Notice that there is a space after the “KBP,” and there are two spaces after the “,” and before the button number.
    8. Check the box for the RS232 terminator and using the drop down menu select the “<CR><LF> (0D 0A)” option.
    9. In the programming screen select the 3rd party control under device location
    10. Select the Login command and assign the password command to be sent. This will allow the HomeWorks QS system to log into the HomeWorks Illumination system based on how the HomeWorks Illumination system needs to be logged into
    11. You can then program the other commands to perform the desired functionality.
    Hi Armando B.
    How if i want to controlling HW Illumination using HWQS ? Based on your explanation i only saw the way to set the Homeworks QS so we can controlled it from HW Illumination. Could you tell me how to set the HW Illumination so we can controlled it from HWQS ? Thank you

For how to control HWQS from HW Illumination, please see this forum post:

https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...s-Illumination

Quote Originally Posted by Armando B. View Post
    For how to control HWQS from HW Illumination, please see this forum post:

https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...s-Illumination
    Hi Armando,
    what i want to know is how to control HW Illumination from HWQS not HWQS from HW Illumination. because in HW Illumination i don't know how to set the IP for the 3rd Party just like in HWQS, do i need to use QSE-CI-NWK-E ?

You do not need to use the QSE-CI-NWK-E. In Illumination, you can go to the panel assignment screen, click on the processor, click on the properties in the equipment tab and check the box to "show advanced properties". You can then set a static IP. You can see more info on this in the help file for Illumination on the topic "Understanding the Panel Assignment Screen" under the "Changing Processor addresses" sub-category.