Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smart Bridge Pro/Caseta vs RR2

Smart Bridge Pro/Caseta vs RR2

So I'm building a new house and have run wiring already, going to drywall this week. I'm planning on using RR2 but am wondering what is the main difference between Lutron's Caseta with the new Smart Bridge vs RadioRA2. Can anyone tell me are the pros and cons of using either?

Yes, I would also like to see Pros/Cons of each system. Seems the big difference is price. Caseta looks to be 30-50% leass expensive than RA2.

Anybody that can help?

Here are some speculative points:

• Different physical appearance, more design choices for RA2
    • Different app appearance
    • RA2 has many more supported devices/interfaces, the most notable being multi-button keypads
    • RA2 requires training to obtain configuration software, SBP is configured with app
    • RA2 has a fee for cloud connectivity, SBP may not for competitive reasons
    • RA2 has well documented local integration protocol, SBP is unknown

If you decide on caseta, staples connect hub is probably a better choice since it supports z-wave devices and other protocols as well as more advanced automation rules. IMO, the only reason to pick the SBP would be if its local integration protocol or official partnerships work with another automation system of your choice.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Both RadioRA 2 and Caséta Wireless use existing wiring so either system could be installed in your home. RadioRA 2 is a wireless total home control system designed for an entire home (up to 200 devices). Caséta Wireless provides simple wireless control of single rooms or key areas. Below are some of the main differences between the two solutions:

RadioRA® 2

• Designed to cover an entire home - up to 200 Devices
    • Keypads - seeTouch (backlighting, personalized engraving), Pico remote controls
    • 27 gloss and satin colors, metal finishes as well
    • Advanced timeclock features - "away" mode, suspend events during a party, normal daily events
    • Home Control+ app - intuitive control of the whole home
    • Compatible with Lutron's full line of shading solutions
    • Can be controlled from many 3rd party A/V and security systems, including custom programming
    • Also offers fan speed controls, appliance modules, occupancy sensors, thermostats, car visor controls
    • Advanced, button-by-button programming using PC software (qualification required)

Case?ta Wireless

• Designed for single rooms/main areas
    • Pico remote controls
    • 4 gloss colors
    • Basic timeclock features - normal daily events
    • Simple Lutron app - convenient control of lights and shades
    • Compatible with Serena RF shades
    • Can be controlled from select 3rd party A/V and security systems using predefined programming
    • Thermostat - coming early summer
    • Guided, step-by-step setup using the Lutron app

6. Likes Armando B. liked this post
    RR2. Hands down.

If you want the integration the Caseta offers with the Staples product then search on Vera. (I don't have a stake in them -- I just own a device and love it). I worked with that company (as in gave them remote access to my systems) for them to develop a (Free) plugin with their automation gateway and RR2.

It's not for the faint of heart -- it is definitely a hobbyist system. Frankly I don't have many ZWave devices (Z-Wave is flakey as can be) -- most of the value I get is the IP-based plugins that connect to various systems (like my RR2, Nest, Sonos, Yamaha Receivers, Samsung TVs etc). All my lighting is RR2, and I've worked it so an unused button on my RR2 keypad turns my Sonos on and off (and plays a certain station if another station had not been paused in the past 10 minutes).

8. Likes RA2-Designer-Gal liked this post
    The Caseta system looks like a good way of introducing lighting. However, some options are superior to RA2 such as the ability to interact with Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostats. Will Ra ever have that ability through firmware, etc.? Currently only the Honeywell TouchPro is the option.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by totalcontrol View Post
    The Caseta system looks like a good way of introducing lighting. However, some options are superior to RA2 such as the ability to interact with Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostats. Will Ra ever have that ability through firmware, etc.? Currently only the Honeywell TouchPro is the option.
    totalcontrol,

Thank you for the feedback. I will pass along this information to our RadioRA 2 development team.

I have recently broken ground on a new house, 4400 sq feet. I like "some" degree of home automation, but feel RR2 is way to complex for my desires. I s the Caseta the best for a new custom home for simple light controls (via switch and andoid app) or are there better options I should be looking at? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by robliv View Post
    I have recently broken ground on a new house, 4400 sq feet. I like "some" degree of home automation, but feel RR2 is way to complex for my desires. I s the Caseta the best for a new custom home for simple light controls (via switch and andoid app) or are there better options I should be looking at? Thanks!

Given your home is 4400 square feet, the Caseta system is probably not the right fit just based on raw footage. The Caseta system only supports 50 devices, has no real scene selection keypads, and does not have a tremendous product offering. For an apartment, small home or even an area of a home this works well, but once the client demands expansion I am afraid you will hit a brick wall with Caseta. RadioRa2 on the other hand can utilize 200 devices, and can outfit homes up to and beyond 7500 sq ft based on structure. Even Homeworks would be an acceptable solution based on your home size.

If you just want to dabble with lighting control and want to control the basement, theater room, media area of combination of rooms then Caseta is fine. However, most of my clients when given the ability to warm up to lighting control want to expand well beyond the original scope of work.

Total Control Remotes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast