Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CL vs 6NA dimmers

CL vs 6NA dimmers

Hi.

I see the new CL dimmers in Software 7.5. I am a bit confused as to when I should spec these vs the 6NA models. The software says the CL dimmers have a minimum load of 50W which in many cases is too high for almost all of the LED loads I am using. For example, we use many LED Strip lights with a dimmable driver which are rated at 1W per foot. In many cases, we are installing only 10 to 20' of these so the load on the dimmer is as low as 10W (my understanding). The 6NA's have worked well for this purpose now that we have found a good dimmable driver / LED strip manufacturer. However, I do like the lower price point of the CL dimmers.

Am I missing something? Doesn't the 50W minimum seem excessive?

2. Thanks digit1 thanked for this post
    Think of the "CL" as a 6D with slightly better LED dimming performance.

The NA is still going to give you the least amount of headaches.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    The 50W minimum load for the RRD-6CL dimmer is in reference to incandescent and halogen lighting loads. For LED and CFL loads you only need to have one of the approved bulbs connected to the dimmer. Here is a link for the current list of all of the approved LED and CFL bulb with this dimmer http://www.lutron.com/technicaldocum...%20Systems.pdf

I tested both on a 14watt TCP R30 LED and the CL seemed to give better dimming for that single lamp, better range and smoother operation. But still it has a minimum load that might mess you up (even on LED). For unknown, unapproved, or small load I would still quote a 6NA to cover you, but I will start recommending the 6CL for appropriate applications.

The C-L is a lot cheaper than the 6na. So think about that part.
    I am not as dumb as you look..

Quote Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
    The C-L is a lot cheaper than the 6na. So think about that part.
    Just a word of caution: Yes, the 6CL is cheaper when you know your load is covered. If you have to return to the job to replace it with a 6NA, well I would say you just lost the difference in cost 3x at least (if you consider re-programming)!

Just saying if there is any unknown, better to plan for 6NA.

Quote Originally Posted by paulhanks View Post
    Just a word of caution: Yes, the 6CL is cheaper when you know your load is covered. If you have to return to the job to replace it with a 6NA, well I would say you just lost the difference in cost 3x at least (if you consider re-programming)!

Just saying if there is any unknown, better to plan for 6NA.
    if you engineer the job well and your load calcs correctly you will not have to go back. Pre planning always pays in the long run. However if your client has an endless bank account than by all means... I would always use a 6 C-L in place of the 6D. I understand the 6D is going away in the future.
    I am not as dumb as you look..

I understand for forward phase the 10ND is preferred over the 6NA, at least that's what someone from Lutron told me on the phone yesterday. Is that correct? I think people suggest going with 6NAs by default if the cost isn't a concern, but the Lutron agent suggested that's not always the best.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Depending on the LED that is going to be used which dimmer would be recommended for the control. If you are unsure as to which dimmer should be used please use our LED product select tool at www.Lutron.com/ledtool.

I am planning controls for what is hoped to be an all-LED install. The list of lamps that are recommended for the 6CL dimmer is quite short compared to the Maestro CL dimmers, and also shorter than the 6NA. Will the 6CL list be updated with results of more recent testing, or are they simply compatible with a much smaller range of lamps? Some of the things I want to use don't seem to be an option, like the Cree CR6 recessed trims.

Looking at it from another angle, is there anything that should cause me to prefer the 6CL over the 6NA, other than the cost?

12. Likes schalliol liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast