Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: P5 Processor - Super long time to boot

P5 Processor - Super long time to boot

Hello, this is a HomeWorks Illumination H4P5-H48-HRL-120 processor. OS Rev is 1.64.00 T5. Whenever I cycle the power, the processor takes a long time to boot. A long time is something like 10 minutes or more. (I have not sat and watched, waiting for it to come up). During this time, only the PWR and processor ERROR lights are on. Inside the enclosure, another green LED flashes during this time.

I've tried clearing the processor memory and re-downloading the OS. I've also tried disconnecting all loads and COMMs from the processor. Once the processor boots, it operates perfectly. This installation uses the clock, RF repeaters and many other devices. The program includes astronomical clock functions, communications functions and more. I don't know of any way to diagnose why it takes so long to boot.

This wouldn't be a problem except any maintenance on the system takes hours due to the long boot time.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    If you remove any Ethernet and/or RS232 connections to the processor and power cycle, how long does it take for the status LEDs on the processor to indicate it has rebooted?

With all loads and comms disconnected, the boot time is still measured in minutes. I estimate 5-10 minutes. Once operating, the processor behaves normally in every way.

Thank you for the update.

Were you looking at the status LED lights on the processor if they were flashing to determine if the processor booted up? If not, how were you determining this?
    Have you worked with our technical support team while on site? If not, we recommend you call 1-800-523-9466 while on site to further troubleshoot the issue.
    For us to further investigate this issue, we would need to see a support file from the system after the issue has been reproduced. Please go to "Terminal->File->Create Support File" to gather the file and send it to hwsupport@lutron.com referencing this forum post.

For later readers, I know the processor is not booting because the red ERROR LED is illuminated. Also, only one RX LED is flashing (I believe it is Link 5). Thank you.

I called Corey at Lutron Support. Lutron must be a great company because everyone I talk to there is pleasant, patient and helpful. We discussed the issue I'm having. He had no ready answers for my weird issue. He had me switch the processor to BOOT mode (DIP #1) and reboot.

I switched #1 to BOOT and rebooted the processor. The reboot took ~3 hours. I knew this because I lost communication with the processor (both Ethernet and RS-232) and because the red "E" LED was on steady. After the processor booted (LEDs were normal), I reconnected and cleared the memory. The "OS" or operating program clears, but the NVRAM still contains many parameters.

I then switched the #1 DIP switch back to normal mode and pressed the INIT button. The processor again took hours to reboot. Once the processor booted again, I re-downloaded the OS and the system is operating again but with the weird reboot delay.

So, the processor works fine. Anytime I need to cycle power to the processor, I have to wait hours before we can use the lighting in the house. This is not a life and death situation but it's an unusual and interesting issue to attempt to figure out. I appreciate any help you might have.

The next time you are on site please ensure you have a connection to the processor and create a support file to send in to hwsupport@lutron.com as we would like to analyze the support file.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig W. View Post
    The next time you are on site please ensure you have a connection to the processor and create a support file to send in to hwsupport@lutron.com as we would like to analyze the support file.
    Done with Case #6314620.

After analyzing the support file that you were able to provide we were able to determine that there is a hardware failure of this processor. We would recommend working with our customer service team to get an RGA for this processor.