Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smart Bridge Pro/Caseta vs RR2

Quote Originally Posted by Craig W. View Post
    Both RadioRA 2 and Caséta Wireless use existing wiring so either system could be installed in your home. RadioRA 2 is a wireless total home control system designed for an entire home (up to 200 devices). Caséta Wireless provides simple wireless control of single rooms or key areas. Below are some of the main differences between the two solutions:

RadioRA® 2

• Designed to cover an entire home - up to 200 Devices
    • Keypads - seeTouch (backlighting, personalized engraving), Pico remote controls
    • 27 gloss and satin colors, metal finishes as well
    • Advanced timeclock features - "away" mode, suspend events during a party, normal daily events
    • Home Control+ app - intuitive control of the whole home
    • Compatible with Lutron's full line of shading solutions
    • Can be controlled from many 3rd party A/V and security systems, including custom programming
    • Also offers fan speed controls, appliance modules, occupancy sensors, thermostats, car visor controls
    • Advanced, button-by-button programming using PC software (qualification required)

Case?ta Wireless

• Designed for single rooms/main areas
    • Pico remote controls
    • 4 gloss colors
    • Basic timeclock features - normal daily events
    • Simple Lutron app - convenient control of lights and shades
    • Compatible with Serena RF shades
    • Can be controlled from select 3rd party A/V and security systems using predefined programming
    • Thermostat - coming early summer
    • Guided, step-by-step setup using the Lutron app
    I was headed towards the Caseta Wireless system but this is first I read that it is meant for a single room/main areas. I have a 3500 SF home with around 40 swtiches - will Caseta not work for me
    ?

Yes it will. My home is 6800 sqft and it is doing well.

Caseta has a distance limitation but does allow one lamp module to be used as an extender. Using that I have been able to cover my house pretty well.

The Caseta doesn't have as many options with devices like switches and Pico remotes. And its app is somewhat limited for fancier automation.

But I have added about 25 switches and three shades and by setting up schedules, we really aren't even having to turn ours off/on. We just let them go with their setup.
    The Picos remotes do provide great controls from diff locations so I find it more than perfect.

You can also setup multiple Bridges to get around the 50 device limit. I have most of my house on one and my Masters devices on another. It limits you being able to control both via the same Pico remote or schedule program, but not to big a loss for me.

The Pico Remotes also work well with Sonos so that is an added bonus also.

Would love to be able to migrate to RAS but prefer being able to just order my devices and set up myself and since I can reuse my existing investment I will never go to RAS.

Thanks jmw-ha!

Quote Originally Posted by RacerChris View Post
    I was headed towards the Caseta Wireless system but this is first I read that it is meant for a single room/main areas. I have a 3500 SF home with around 40 swtiches - will Caseta not work for me
    ?
    I would take a hard look at RA2Select. Depending on the complexity of your switches, adding the Pico's in for keypads and remotes could easily put you past the 50. Additionally, no ceiling fan control (no need to start that argument here, hashed and re-hashed already). RA2Select uses the same app, but with 100 device total and the ability to re-purpose the devices over to full RadioRA2 if you need the added control.

You can build a home around Caseta, just realize the 50 devices limit. Caseta works best in a track-style home where you have a box on top of a box. Ranch style or single levels tend to stretch Caseta quite a bit, where RA2Select can just add a wireless repeater to extend the range.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    I would take a hard look at RA2Select. Depending on the complexity of your switches, adding the Pico's in for keypads and remotes could easily put you past the 50. Additionally, no ceiling fan control (no need to start that argument here, hashed and re-hashed already). RA2Select uses the same app, but with 100 device total and the ability to re-purpose the devices over to full RadioRA2 if you need the added control.

You can build a home around Caseta, just realize the 50 devices limit. Caseta works best in a track-style home where you have a box on top of a box. Ranch style or single levels tend to stretch Caseta quite a bit, where RA2Select can just add a wireless repeater to extend the range.
    whoa! RA2 hardware is WAY pricey and sounds alot more complex... Does Lutron have a "How To" in regards to adding a second bridge to Caseta?

Not really much to adding a second. Basically you just set it up the same way as the first except you need another email account to create a new Lutron Account for it. You have two Lutron accounts. And do work with one of them, you have to login to each individually.

Not ideal but at least lets you add more than 50. Of course if you wanted say a Pico Remote or a scheduled program to turn on/off devices in both Bridges you cant. But I haven't really been hindered by it.
    We have set 90% of our devices up under scheduled programs so we never even have to do anything. They just come on at auto time and then off at another auto time.
    we divided devices out to Master area (Bathroom, Bedroom) and then everything else in the other.
    About the only thing I ant do is say have a Pico Remote Button turn off everything (because you can only control one Bridge devices or the other).

The Smart Bridge Pro adds some features for programming (which I haven't used yet) but I would recommend the extra 50$ or so for them just in case.

You can also use some of the higher level bridges like Wink, Smarthings, etc. I haven't done this, because haven't had the need. But once I add other devices like door locks, sprinkler system, garage door, etc they will work with one brand or the other. Then you can start making a higher level system.

Thanks "jmw_ha"!

Your posts are appreciated and very helpful in my case. We're in the process of building a very open concept 2,700 sq/ft. main floor with a full walk-out basement partially finished (approx. 1,400 sq/ft.).

The basement will be used rarely and then mainly for my high-end 2-channel audio room or if we have overnight company.

My primary interest in automation is lighting -- no blind/shade control, no real desire for programmed mood lighting etc. However, I'm interested in using pico remotes to control lights and android (and perhaps) apple as remotes in the rooms we’re in. In fact, in our present house, simple plug in modules with 2-RF remotes controlling 5 outlets have been quite useful and at ~$30, inexpensive.

Ultimately, it would be nice to turn some lights on/off both inside, but mainly outside at certain times or at dawn/dusk etc.

Your use of a Caseta system in your 6,800 sq.ft. although not quite as "elegant", or perhaps as easily achieved (via R2A select programming), seems to be meeting your requirements and as such, I believe they should meet ours.

Thus, while it's good to know the limitations of Caseta compared to R2A, they're aren't necessarily related to square footage as much as the complexity and number of routines and devices that are needed to be controlled.

Moreover in our case, although I'm obtaining low voltage wiring quotes from two companies, A/C wiring will be performed by a builder-recommended company that I don't believe is Lutron R2A approved. And given our minimal automation needs and no desire to hire a 3rd. R2A wiring/electrical company (which in our area are very limited), I'm glad that per your experience, Lutron Caseta seems to be applicable in our specific case. Thanks again for posting your experiences and work-around recommendations as far as coverage area is concerned. Your information suggests that we’re headed in a DIY workable – for our purposes -- direction.

Yes, the Pico Remotes are probably one of the best features of the Lutron systems! I have Sonos speakers and they work with them, so provide an excellent interface to them for volume control. The Picos can be mounted to look like a normal switch with a baseplate around them, can be just attached to stands with 1-3 options available, and a simple sticky plastic mount to wall. Great options.

As I mentioned the distances haven't been a limitation to me, but if say I couldn't reach an upstairs area, as long as you have internet connection, you could just use another Bridge there. Different zones isn't ideal, but don't affect you unless you really want advance controls.

Its to bad there is not upgrade path, because I would be convinced to keep upgrading Lutron makes such great products. But as it is now, ill be evaluating overhead hubs like Wink, Smarthings, and anything new in the next few you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123