Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smart Bridge Pro/Caseta vs RR2

Quote Originally Posted by Ramias View Post
    RR2. Hands down.

If you want the integration the Caseta offers with the Staples product then search on Vera. (I don't have a stake in them -- I just own a device and love it). I worked with that company (as in gave them remote access to my systems) for them to develop a (Free) plugin with their automation gateway and RR2.

It's not for the faint of heart -- it is definitely a hobbyist system. Frankly I don't have many ZWave devices (Z-Wave is flakey as can be) -- most of the value I get is the IP-based plugins that connect to various systems (like my RR2, Nest, Sonos, Yamaha Receivers, Samsung TVs etc). All my lighting is RR2, and I've worked it so an unused button on my RR2 keypad turns my Sonos on and off (and plays a certain station if another station had not been paused in the past 10 minutes).
    How did you integrate the Sonos with RR2 so you can control it with one of the keypads?

Quote Originally Posted by SheridanRR2 View Post
    How did you integrate the Sonos with RR2 so you can control it with one of the keypads?

You can integrate anything with RR2 as long as you can generate a driver based event based on a button press. For example, if I am using RTI I would do a system variable test on a designated keypad button press and base an event accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by totalcontrol View Post
    You can integrate anything with RR2 as long as you can generate a driver based event based on a button press. For example, if I am using RTI I would do a system variable test on a designated keypad button press and base an event accordingly.
    That is way over my head... I just started using the system and I'm not familiar with all this. Is there some kind of step-by-step guide for this kind of thing or should I just talk to my installer and see if he knows about it? Thanks

Absolutely. This is not DIY type of operation. It relies heavily on programming the third party control system to monitor the RA2 button presses on the keypads. You should definitely speak to your installer about this.

A bit bummed out to hear this as I was advised by a Lutron seller that the Caseta system would be a great fit for my 6,500 sq ft home. Bought all the switches and gear and now I read that I won't get the range I need unless I buy a RRA2 system. Now I have a few questions. Since I can't get the range I would need with the Caseta Pro Bridge, would I be able to use all the Caseta switches and Pico remotes I purchased without a bridge? I realize I would not have internet based controls but could I just use the remotes from room to room. If so, what is the range of a Pico remote to a switch? I believe I was told it was only about 30 feet. Is there another bridge I could buy that would allow me to do all the internet connectivity without having to shell out for the RRA2? I assume if I have the bridge on one side of the house and there is sufficient range, I should at least be able to control the nearby rooms via the internet. Any information would be greatly appreciated before it's back to the ole drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by HayJade View Post
    A bit bummed out to hear this as I was advised by a Lutron seller that the Caseta system would be a great fit for my 6,500 sq ft home. Bought all the switches and gear and now I read that I won't get the range I need unless I buy a RRA2 system. Now I have a few questions. Since I can't get the range I would need with the Caseta Pro Bridge, would I be able to use all the Caseta switches and Pico remotes I purchased without a bridge? I realize I would not have internet based controls but could I just use the remotes from room to room. If so, what is the range of a Pico remote to a switch? I believe I was told it was only about 30 feet. Is there another bridge I could buy that would allow me to do all the internet connectivity without having to shell out for the RRA2? I assume if I have the bridge on one side of the house and there is sufficient range, I should at least be able to control the nearby rooms via the internet. Any information would be greatly appreciated before it's back to the ole drawing board.
    Very sorry to hear about your experience. I question the knowledge of your installation professional. At a 50 device max, and with limited product line (keypads, expansion, load types, etc.) it boggles my mind the installer would recommend and install Caseta. Caseta is a great system, in all its simplicity, but it is simply not designed for a 6,500 square foot home where the client is interested in whole-home lighting control. Your pico remotes would have to be within the 30' range, and this would be greater (Lutron is very conservative about providing range statistics). I am afraid you are out of options with the Caseta system. At 6500 square feet, even RA2 will be pushed in terms of range. You will definitely need AUX repeaters to facilitate the range throughout the home.
    Last edited by totalcontrol; 11-12-2017 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Double post - accidental.

7. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    You will definitely need AUX repeaters to facilitate the range throughout the home.
    I might be okay with the limit of 50 devices if the bridge range wouldn't be an issue. Are there repeaters for the Caseta Bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by HayJade View Post
    I might be okay with the limit of 50 devices if the bridge range wouldn't be an issue. Are there repeaters for the Caseta Bridge?
    No, but perhaps this could help you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/com...n_be_extended/

No, but perhaps this could help you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/com...n_be_extended/

Thank you.

I would do some testing with range. My house is 6800 ft and I have not had an issue. My house is fairly open which might help.
    You can use one Caseta lamp dimmer module as an extender. Since my office is mostly towards the center, I have my Bridge located there. From that location can reach my Master Bedroom and Master Bath (They are next to the office) without problem. I have gone upstairs just above the office so haven't put the range issue to a test up a flight of stairs. To the other end of house, I wanted to extend range to get to items in my pool house(2000 ft ) which is not attached to main house. So I placed the first lamp module on that end to be the extender. I have some path lights where the transformers are located in the back of the poolhouse. I was able to use a lamp module located here. So was very happy with the range. I had 3 Serena Shades installed last week and needed the Smart Bridge Pro. So now I have two Bridges running. Since didn't want to move the existing devices until I had more time. But with two Bridges my device limit is increased. You have to accounts and its not easy to do things between the devices on diff Bridges, but I am finding once I set up most items on automated schedules and Pico Remotes I kinda don't mind using two Bridges. I use mine for the ability to control some of my Sonos Speakers with Picos, so I will put those on my Bridge that isn't the standard login account because I don't need to do much once programmed. Short answer, I think your Caseta devices might not be as hindered as you thought. I would test some. The lamp modules are nice for this because you can move them with ease. If upstairs is an issue, maybe a Bridge downstairs and one upstairs. The only thing you would lose is the ability have total control like all lights out since you kinda have two systems. But using some of the overhead Bridges like Smartthings, Homekit, Wink, etc for that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast