Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just upgraded to 7.5 and transfer always fails.

I'd have to say this is a software issue too and this is very similar to the VPN transfer issue which I've experienced on both my MAC pro (bootcamp Win XP) and new Win 8.1pro machine. If I roll back to a pre 7.xx revision it works but 7.2 upwards it doesn't. May not work locally either but I can't say since I don't carry my desktops around :). I guess I should try the VPN transfer with my laptop which runs Win 7 since that does work in the field and then I can rule out PC software interaction as a possible problem with the RA software. Also since I'm already behind my router's firewall I never turn on my PC's firewall and I don't have anti-virus running on either, either. Plus my older MAC has always work on every other system AMX, HAI, Cisco, HWI, HWIQS so I'm sure it's a deficiency in the RA software/firmware IP stack handling or something.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

Upgrading Radio Ra Firmware on Different Operating Systems, (Failure to Activate)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    When I try to transfer to my repeater i get a ip multicast error.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ui9ty2otnc...2012.19.17.png
    Good Morning Chris, I have experienced the same problems, 3 Main repeaters in fact. I hate to break it to you but the only way I was able to get past this was to re-write the software in 7.5 from start to finish. No problems having done that.

I believe there is an issue with upgrading from prior versions of Lutron Radio Ra Software to current in one step.. (IE from 6.2 to 7.5). Try upgrading in steps from one version to the next to the next and so on until you are in the current version. I have been working with Tech Support on this issue and they are investigating it further.

Notes on my problems:
    Original program written in V6.1 a Desktop Windows XP
    Upgraded program to V7.5 in one step on a Laptop with windows 7.
    I believe the two different operating systems is where the problem exists and why Lutron may not have experienced it directly in program development.

Good Luck, hopefully you have your original program on the appropriate operating system.
    Greg Celi

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    rmauritzon, can you please send us the project file you are experiencing this issue with to systemsupport@Lutron.com and reference this forum post as we would like to attempt to reproduce this issue here using your project file

Greg was kind enough to send us his file in version 6.2 for us to look at after he re-wrote the project file. We found that in this version his project file did not have a default frequency. When the file was converted to version 7.6 it would not have resolved this issue. We were able to repair his project file.
    If you are experiencing an issue transferring your project file and you worked with our technical support and were unable to resolve the issue we would recommend sending us the project file you are experiencing this issue with to systemsupport@Lutron.com so we can attempt to repair the file.

Craig,
    6.2/6.3 project file has been sent. Hope you can find the issue.
    Thanks.

We converted the project file that you sent in to both version 7.5 and version 7.6 and we were able to transfer these project files without any issues. We sent you back the converted files that we were able to successfully transfer. When using one of these converted files you will need to find that main repeaters again as they currently have the serial numbers of the main repeaters we connected to here.

If you still experience this issue when using the files we sent back it would indicate that a firewall is causing this issue. If an exception was made for an earlier version of the RadioRA2 software it will not apply for the 7.5 and 7.6 version of the software.

If you disable all your firewalls on your computer including both the privet and public networks for the Windows firewall do you still experience this issue? If you do still experience this issue then we would recommend using a separate router that just has the main repeaters connected to it and your computer. With this connection do you still experience this issue?

Craig,

The converted project files had the same issue - Main Repeaters were visible (& online) under the Design tab, but couldn't be found (& offline) during diagnostics, activation, and transfer.
    (All Firewalls were completely disabled on the PC & Modem/Router.)

I ended up individually connecting the main repeaters directly to the PC, performed a factory reset, and was able to get them to show up online under the diagnostic/activation tabs (and was even able to update the firmware/OS for each repeater).

However, this brought me to the second issue - While working with each repeater individually (connected directly to the PC) went fairly smoothly...In order to perform the programming transfer, I need to have both main repeaters online simultaneously which means re-connecting them to the router. This time, after the factory resets, and new OS updates, both main repeaters appeared 'online' (which was a sigh of relief).....until everything came to a halt when performing the programming transfer due to Multicast IP errors.

FYI - None of the approved Centurylink (Western DSL provider) modem/routers support Multicast IP (IGMP)...So Rev 7.x is going to cause many more people headaches with this limitation.
    I've bypassed the router functions on the Centurylink modem, and am using an Apple Extreme Base Station for the routing 'function'. But even with IGMP Snooping enabled, (and both main repeaters connected directly to the Apple router), the Multicast IP Error persists. I'm thinking that a IGMP-friendly Ethernet Switch placed downstream from the router, and hosting both main repeaters may be worth trying.

At this stage, I've again reverted back to software Rev 6.2, downgraded the main repeater's OS back to 6.2, and all is fine. It should be noted in REV 6.2, when 'finding/saving' the main repeater IP info, and/or transferring programming, there doesn't appear to be a verification check for IP Multicasting capability, like Rev 7.x performs.

If anyone has gotten an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station to successfully work with multiple main repeaters on 7.x using the ICMP function, please let me know.

Thanks.

SUCCESS!

I replaced the existing (old) Linksys switch installed between the Apple Base Station Extreme router and the Main Repeaters. It was replaced with a new NetGear GS108E (IGMP capable) switch.
    However, for some reason with the GS108E's IGMP Snooping enabled (default), only one of two main repeaters could be found 'online' - and it seemed to vary depending on which one was connected to the network first.
    Disabling the IGMP Snooping fixed everything (go figure?) - After disabling IGMP Snooping, both Main Repeaters could be found online, and no more Multicast IP errors when activating/transferring.

Still not sure why the Main Repeaters produced Multicast IP errors when connected directly to the Apple Base Station Extreme router (with either IGMP Snooping enabled or disabled)....

In either case, Rev 7.x is now working on the system.
    In hindsight, the addition of the new NetGear switch may have solved the issue when neither Repeater could be found online....prior to manually connecting them to the PC, and performing a factory reset.

Not sure if the advantages offered in Rev 7.x (vs. 6.x) justify the need to update/add additional networking hardware, but we'll see. Hopefully the system is more robust going forward.

I have been reading this thread with interest, because I experienced the very same issue upon upgrading to v7.x using Parallels on a Macbook Pro using both a new Apple Time Capsule router and an Airport Extreme router. Same exact issue with both. In my case, the main repeater is connected directly to the router, which has been working perfectly I might add with all versions prior to v7.x. Fortunately I was able to locate a v6.2, reverted everything back to that and it all works. But that really doesn't solve the problem now does it? I will try the addition of a switch as described in the previous post and see what happens. if that works, that will at least allow migration to the current software version. But IMHO, I don't think we should have to figure out workarounds every time a new software version is released.

Anybody know how to enable multicast on a PACE 5861N? I'm having a multicast issues with both 8.2 and 9.1, and my guy in the field doesn't have a LAN jack to bypass the wifi router that is blocking multicast.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123