Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: HWQS lights come on independantly of control function

HWQS lights come on independantly of control function

Hi, a bit of an odd issue, and I wonder if anybody has had the same.

I am working on a QS system and some circuits are coming on of their own accord.

Their is no vacation mode currently set within the program, and the only timeclock events are for the front garden lights to automatically turn on/off at sunset/sunrise.

Our client is reporting that lights in the hallway are coming on at night, they have a double tap function on bedroom KPs to turn all lights off, but they are telling me that some lights are coming on some time after this, and are on during the early hours! I have checked the master on/off function both within the program and by using the KPs concerned, all appears fine.

We have also installed a Crestron system, but the lighting side is only programmed to control certain zones, such as Cinema, but all we are doing is replecating the KPs in the area controlled, and these rogue lights are not on the Crestron program.

Control of the systems is via iPads, and I have put the Lutron App onto these, but the client has not really used this function to any degree yet.

Has anybody had anything similar to this? I will have to fault find this issue to see where it lies, and I will have to disconnect the Lutron from the network to see if the problem still occurs.

You could pull the log from the processor. If you know what loads are in question it should be easy to find

Quote Originally Posted by Curly View Post
    Hi, a bit of an odd issue, and I wonder if anybody has had the same.

I am working on a QS system and some circuits are coming on of their own accord.

Their is no vacation mode currently set within the program, and the only timeclock events are for the front garden lights to automatically turn on/off at sunset/sunrise.

Our client is reporting that lights in the hallway are coming on at night, they have a double tap function on bedroom KPs to turn all lights off, but they are telling me that some lights are coming on some time after this, and are on during the early hours! I have checked the master on/off function both within the program and by using the KPs concerned, all appears fine.

We have also installed a Crestron system, but the lighting side is only programmed to control certain zones, such as Cinema, but all we are doing is replecating the KPs in the area controlled, and these rogue lights are not on the Crestron program.

Control of the systems is via iPads, and I have put the Lutron App onto these, but the client has not really used this function to any degree yet.

Has anybody had anything similar to this? I will have to fault find this issue to see where it lies, and I will have to disconnect the Lutron from the network to see if the problem still occurs.
    My 2 cents regarding programming best practices-
    1. I would try changing the double-tap all off to a 1 second hold for all off, if you think the client is receptive. The 'native' logic with lutron devices : press to toggle, double tap for 100%, hold for delay-to-off. I've seen situations where double-tap programmed to an all-off scene results in all the lights going to 100% and then off. A missed off command would then look like 'lights turning on by themselves'.
    2. When integrating with 3rd party, I use phantom keypads. If the other system is triggering events 'accidentally' you can check the log for phantom keypad button presses. This really helps with pointing the finger at the right culprit.

It is probably worth it to comb through EVERY keypad and make sure there is no unintended double-tap programming. I had a house with mysterious "all the lights turned on" events and when I combed through the keypads found a few buttons with very odd double-tap programming. I still can't say how it got there, but it helped explain why 'lights turned on by themselves'.

If you think the client could handle the change to a 1 second hold for all off, try it out.