Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RRD-2ANF & Fan compability

RRD-2ANF & Fan compability

Hi everyone,

I tried searching the forums for this but didn't find much on the 2ANF. We've spec'd in several RRD-2ANF for a job. The locations are buried in the electrical closets and the interior designer is trying to find fans she likes however we are running into a problem. We are finding it very difficult to find fans that are compatible. We have come across three main issues (no... the interior designer is not one of them =p )

1) A lot of fan companies are going with a direct drive motor - Fan companies insist their fan speed controller is used.
    2) A lot of motors seem to only have 1 capacitor.
    3) A lot of the fan companies have no idea what I am talking about when I ask them if their fan has a permanent split capacitor motor.

I was told by Lutron (and correct me if I am wrong) that basically in a nutshell, the motor must have two capacitors 1) for starting/stopping operations 2) running operations. Does anyone have any fan companies/models that they have successfully used with the 2ANF that meet the requirements of the RRD-2ANF?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    As long as the fan uses the pull chains to adjust the fan speeds and does not have its own control then it will be compatible with the RRD-2ANF fan control. We do not have a list of compatible fans.

Thanks for the reply Craig. What we have found is that there are some fan companies that have integrated receivers/controls with their fans, we have stayed away from these fans. The other companies we have found will sell you just their fan (with pull strings) but you need to buy their fan speed controller separately, they won't warranty/guarantee it will work with a 3rd party fan speed controller. Lastly, a lot of fan companies we ask if their fan will be compatible with the RRD-2ANF they interrupt us and say no Lutron fan speed controller is not compatible.

Out of all the fan companies we have contacted (and maybe the interior designer is just looking at the wrong ones) but only one company has definitely said yes, the Lutron fan speed controllers will work with our fans. I think we may have finally found a fan that will work, it's just a matter of getting the interior designer to sign off on it.

What fan company has said that the Lutron controller is definitely compatible?

I'm using a cheap Hunter fan (no lights) from Home Depot that only has a pull chain and switch for forward/reverse. I set the pull chain to high and let the RRD-2ANF control the speeds, it works flawlessly.

Eric

A list of fans that have been verified to work with the fan switch would be a nice addition.

Another aspect to keep in mind and highlight it to customer is that compatible fans will spin only in one direction, unless they have a reversing switch. Accessing such a switch is also not always convenient.

Resurrecting this thread. Can anyone recommend a brand/model of fan that works well with the 2NF? Must be high quality, quiet, and contemporary design. Just about everything out there seems to come with it's own wireless remote and receiver built into the motor.

Our client ended up using this company, Fanimation ( http://www.fanimation.com/ ), you will have to look into specific models if they use their own controllers. If I can remember correctly, most models don't... The company seemed to know what I was talking about when I mentioned the requirements/restrictions for the motors.

The fans have been working great with the Lutron 2ANFs.

Thanks for the reference. We'll check that company out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast