Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RRD-2ANF & Fan compability

I have an outdoor Fanimation fan, which works great too. They have high end and medium range fans. Recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by lleo_ View Post
    Another aspect to keep in mind and highlight it to customer is that compatible fans will spin only in one direction, unless they have a reversing switch. Accessing such a switch is also not always convenient.
    Oh come on now... all you need is a very small relay switch, some low voltage wiring to to a car visor reciever contact closure and a maybe a small transformer and you will be automating that fans direction in no time.... lol

I have a fan/lamp combo (halogen bulbs) which uses its own IR remote to adjust fan speed and light on/off (no dimming). The current light switch just cuts or delivers the power to the whole unit - so light and fan on or off. So as I understand it, the only automation I could add with RR2 would be a switch (8ANS or 8S) - which would be useful in an 'all off' type of scene, but there is no way to add dimming or speed control to it?

If this is AC fan you could rip the wireless control unit out, turning it into a dumb fan which can be controller by in-wall unit. Warning: that would void the fan warranty.

Often, I've found that fans that come with their own remote control really just have an included 'canopy module' that you can just uninstall (or not install in the first place if it's a new fan). Of course, if the fan has a light you want to control too, you will need to have both the light and the fan wired to separate switch locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
    Often, I've found that fans that come with their own remote control really just have an included 'canopy module' that you can just uninstall (or not install in the first place if it's a new fan). Of course, if the fan has a light you want to control too, you will need to have both the light and the fan wired to separate switch locations.
    Just watch out for the description listing anything like a 'dc motor' for the fan. Those typically won't lend themselves to being dumbed-down. That and the AC/DC and control circuits are often all part of the same circuit board.

And don't get me started on the ones that DO have an AC motor but use LED lighting with no way to dim the light...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12