Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Best design for new construction

Best design for new construction

I'm building a new house and using RadioRa2. Most rooms have a single keypad and the other room loads are remotely located in a nearby closet. I'm not using a power module for remote and have accounted for derating.

I designed the system to use hybrid keypads to reduce the number of remotely located dimmers. My electrician heard from his rep that hybrid keypads were designed for retrofit applications. So he wired all loads remote. This works fine but means I will need 15 more remote dimmers.

So what's the better approach for new construction? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmelani View Post
    I'm building a new house and using RadioRa2. Most rooms have a single keypad and the other room loads are remotely located in a nearby closet. I'm not using a power module for remote and have accounted for derating.

I designed the system to use hybrid keypads to reduce the number of remotely located dimmers. My electrician heard from his rep that hybrid keypads were designed for retrofit applications. So he wired all loads remote. This works fine but means I will need 15 more remote dimmers.

So what's the better approach for new construction? Thanks!
    -RA2 was not designed to replace a centralized system by locating all dimmers in a closet.
    -When turning RA2 into a centralized system, it is best to use WPMs, although depending on your load types you might need PHPM-PA or other type interfaces as WPMs are not reverse phase dimmers which are typically required for LED dimming.
    -A hybrid keypad is fine to use in your application, but it is limited to 450 watts and also does not do reverse phase
    -You may need 15 more dimmers, but a hybrid keypad is $100 more than a standard keypad, so your cost increase is not as significant going with the dedicated dimmers.

Best approach in all situations with lighting control is to start with defining your lighting loads, load type and wattage are essential information needed to select the right components which drive the design.

3. Likes Eric H. liked this post
    Wpm are a cleaner install. You don't have to de rate or have ugly single gang keypads with plate in a closet. Leveling out 12 single gang plastic boxes is a PITA.. I like kp(keypads) up high. Who wants to bend over to read engraved buttons....
    I am not as dumb as you look..