Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost project and main repeater issues

Lost project and main repeater issues

Hi all,

I just moved into a new house with an existing RadioRA2 system. I wanted to add in a Connect Bridge, so using Essentials I went to extract the project from the main repeater, and while the software can find the repeater there is no project file found on the repeater. Reading previous forum posts it sounded like the firmware on the repeater needed to match your Essentials software, so I upgraded the firmware using Essentials to 12.0.0 successfully. However, now I have several issues:

1. My wall keypads still function, but not well. They turn on the lights they are supposed to, but then you need to hit them twice in short succession to turn the lights off. The keypad lights also do not stay lit.
    2. My Home+ phone app no longer finds the system
    3. I still can not extract a project file

There are no lights on on the main repeater, which from the FAQ looks like the repeater needs to be added in to the system, but I am hesitant to push anything via the software until I get a backup copy of the project. I am hoping that because the keypads still "know" what they are supposed to do, the system setup information is still somewhere and I don't need to do a total new build? I am REALLY hoping to avoid a rebuild, because the installers put many of the switches behind a wall (the only usable place to turn these switches on off is the keypad), so I would have to cut drywall and hire contractors. I tried contacting the previous installers to no avail for a system file, would Lutron have a copy of my project file in their servers?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1. Once you upgraded the firmware, the program was supposed to be erased. It is running in a crippled mode as the devices still have the old program, but the main repeater does not. To get the file, you'll need to contact the original programmer, or you'll have to start from scratch.

2. Most likely, your Home Control + app lost communication because the ip address of the main changed when you did the firmware upgrade.

3. You can't extract because the file is now gone. Again, find the original or rebuild.

It may be beneficial to contact a local installer with a lot of experience, if you don't already have it. It can speed your process up considerably. On the plus side, you'll be able to rename everything to what you want to call it- Family Room vs. Living Room vs. Den, etc. Feel free to email me if you have further questions.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

3. Thanks jspot55 thanked for this post
    Thank you very much for the reply Mike. I hope I can get my hands on the project file, but if not i will definitely be talking to a local expert to get it rebuilt. Guess I should've read more carefully before upgrading the firmware. It's totally my fault, but Lutron should probably have a "warning: this process will erase your project" box open up when you try to upgrade.

Have a good weekend and thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    1. Once you upgraded the firmware, the program was supposed to be erased. It is running in a crippled mode as the devices still have the old program, but the main repeater does not. To get the file, you'll need to contact the original programmer, or you'll have to start from scratch.

2. Most likely, your Home Control + app lost communication because the ip address of the main changed when you did the firmware upgrade.

3. You can't extract because the file is now gone. Again, find the original or rebuild.

It may be beneficial to contact a local installer with a lot of experience, if you don't already have it. It can speed your process up considerably. On the plus side, you'll be able to rename everything to what you want to call it- Family Room vs. Living Room vs. Den, etc. Feel free to email me if you have further questions.

5. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post
    Jspot55, this won't help you now, but I just recently updated from Essentials 11.6 to 12.0. I did save my project file with 11.6 first just to be safe. When I used 12.0 and requested that the latest project file be opened I was told that the 11.6 version would have to be converted to 12.0 first. The conversion took a minute or two. Maybe I was lucky, but everything was fine after that. I now have two project files saved, one is for 11.6 and the other for 12.0. The 12.0 file is about 8% larger. So, I'm not sure why everything got erased. I couldn't even do the firmware update until I had a project file opened.

Good luck.

7. Thanks jspot55 thanked for this post
    Hi again all,

ok, good news, i've managed to get a copy of the project file. Before I go to activate it though, I have a question: right now, my keypads work in the sense they can turn the lights on and off. When I upload the program to the repeater, will I lose this "crippled mode" on the keypads? I ask because if so I would lose the ability to turn my lights on/off completely in some rooms until I cut a hole in my wall to access the hidden switches, so i would want to know that and book a contractor before trying to activate.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

If you update the file by opening in the new software, you should be able to just transfer to the updated repeater and all should be well. You will be re-installing the program on the repeater and the devices.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your continued help! When I open essentials, I can not "transfer" without first going through the activation step. Just to try I picked a "safe" keypad (one that has switches also available to me) to try to activate, but holding down the requested button didn't do anything. One thing I am wondering is if a project file made with Inclusive software will not work with Essentials? It is a .ra2 file.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jspot55 View Post
    Hi Mike,

Thank you for your continued help! When I open essentials, I can not "transfer" without first going through the activation step. Just to try I picked a "safe" keypad (one that has switches also available to me) to try to activate, but holding down the requested button didn't do anything. One thing I am wondering is if a project file made with Inclusive software will not work with Essentials? It is a .ra2 file.

Thank you!
    If it was done in Inclusive, you wouldn't be able to open it in Essentials. Check the blink rate of the keypad when in activation mode.

1 blink about every two seconds = unactivated keypad
    1 blink about every half second = activated keypad on your main repeater
    no blinking at all = activated on "another" main repeater (and will need a factory default) or not a RA2 device.

Hi Mike,

Thanks again for the speedy reply. I think I am missing something: the keypads are still working in "crippled mode". They were previously active on the only main repeater in my network, which is the one i am transferring the project file to once again. If I need to factory reset them i will need to get into the wall to activate the extra switches hidden away. Is there a way to get the main repeater back on the same page as these keypads and switches that are in crippled mode?

One thing I should mention is that in this project file I dont think I'm seeing all my switches. For example, there's a switch in the basement that isn't affiliated with any keypads or anything, but is still a lutron switch that I was previously able to control on the Lutron App. That switch isn't in this project file. Is that something I should be worried about?

Thank you!

jspot55-
    Sounds like you have a system that was added on to after the file you received. Might be better to default all the devices and re-activate. Sucks, but might be your best option. I would walk every inch of the house to discover the devices that are hidden and not on your copy of the file. Good time to also rename things to what makes sense for you. If you've had a lot of experience, this really isn't too difficult, just time consuming. As it's your house, you can really take the time to make it your own. If you miss something, you can always add later- with no truck roll fee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast