Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Unresponsive dimmers (6NA)

Unresponsive dimmers (6NA)

I am having issues with multiple systems where a particular dimmer will stop responding after some time. The lights work well for a few days, then all of a sudden, the dimmer will no longer respond - either as part of a scene, or pressing the dimmer directly. On the dimmer itself, the bottom three lights light up when it is pressed. This shold not be an out of range issue as the dimmer is within 8 feet line of sight to the Master repeater and there are multiple sets of switches operating without issue. The only way I can get the dimmer to respond again is to remove power from it (using the service switch) and replace power which appears to reboot the device. This has become a huge issue for one of my clients as the dimmers are located in an electrical room in the basement.

In all cases, this appears to be on LED loads. However, the same type of LED load works fine on at least 50 other circuits.

Could this be a malfunctioning dimmer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Are these LED's connected to a low voltage transformer or are they line voltage? If they are connected to a transformer do you know if the transformer is electronic or magnetic?

Also on the circuits that are not experiencing this issue do they have the same number bulbs connected to the dimmer as the ones that are experiencing this issue? Are the same LED's installed on both the working and non-working dimmers?

They are connected to a low voltage dimmable driver. The transformer is electronic. And yes, the circuits without issues have the same number of bulbs. It's odd - they'll work for two weeks or more then all of a sudden they'll lock up and not turn off (stop responding). The off command is part of a scene - however, pressing the circuits dimmer directly will not fix the issue. The three bottom lights of the dimmer only turn on. Since the original post, this has happened to other circuits in the home as well - all LED, all 6NA dimmers. Pulling the service switch and replacing it fixes the issues for a few more weeks but getting very tired of rolling a truck each time. I am using software v 6.3. This is the first system I have installed with this software version - not sure if that could be an issue.

Thanks

Typically when I have this problem adjusting the low end trim level higher (10-12%) fixes things up.

Quote Originally Posted by BradKas View Post
    Typically when I have this problem adjusting the low end trim level higher (10-12%) fixes things up.
    Thanks for the tip Brad. I'll give it a shot and post back.

6NA Losing functionabilty recently

Quote Originally Posted by BradKas View Post
    I've had the same issue with one 6NA switch recently. it has two 7.5 Watt Led Bulbs on its load and up until recently (about a month) it worked fine. I tried adjusting the low end and this seemed to help, I tried changing the phase and that also seemed to help. I replaced the bulbs, and that seemed to help. And finally I replaced the switch for the Customer and that seemed to help. currently I have the low end set at 40 % and that seems to help. Problem is it all seems to help cause eventually the problem reoccurs. the Switch is located about ten feet from the repeater. And the only thing I can think of that has changed is the software and firmware IE: 7.0 and 7.1

We would first recommend verifying the phase control of these dimmers controlling this load. To check the phase control go into the design screen and right click on the dimmer and select the option for advanced settings.

Have the same issue, I'm using R20 8w Philips LED flood lamps, I have 3 dimmers (6NA) that are becoming unresponsive over time (20 minutes-4 days). I'm using 3, 5 and 7 lamps on the dimmers. I have set the low trim at 40%, Reversed the phase dimming. Still having the dimmers become unresponsive.

Would a shunt capacitor across each dimmer fix the issue, if so, what size would you recommend?!

From looking up an 8W R20 Phillips LED they recommend using leading edge dimmers. If you change the phase control of these dimmers to be forward phase they will be using the recommended leading edge dimming.