Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta in-Wall Dimmer comes on randomly - won't shut off

Caseta in-Wall Dimmer comes on randomly - won't shut off

Hello, I purchased a Caseta Wireless In-Wall Dimmer Start-up Kit from Home Depot (the $100 one). It came with the bridge, and the in-wall dimmer. I set up the bridge, wired the in-wall dimmer, and paired everything together. I also went out and purchased a compatible LED dimmable light (a phillips one, I don't have the exact model, but I do know it was on the list). The switch is connected to one hallway ceiling light.

Everything worked very well for a day, but now the light will go on randomly, and I can't turn it off from the app, or by physically pressing the switch. The only thing that stops it is by pulling out the FASS. If I leave it on, the light will sometimes turn off on its own, and then come back on again minutes or hours later, and again, it is always unresponsive to the app and physically pressing the buttons on it. Also, the green LEDS on the switch itself will flash. They won't flash as fast as when it is in pairing mode, but they do steadily flash.

I have reset the switch and then re-added it into the app, but the problem persists. I am getting to the point where I am going to return it, as I see nothing wrong with the wiring, and I am using a compatible bulb. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rdporter81 View Post
    Hello, I purchased a Caseta Wireless In-Wall Dimmer Start-up Kit from Home Depot (the $100 one). It came with the bridge, and the in-wall dimmer. I set up the bridge, wired the in-wall dimmer, and paired everything together. I also went out and purchased a compatible LED dimmable light (a phillips one, I don't have the exact model, but I do know it was on the list). The switch is connected to one hallway ceiling light.

Everything worked very well for a day, but now the light will go on randomly, and I can't turn it off from the app, or by physically pressing the switch. The only thing that stops it is by pulling out the FASS. If I leave it on, the light will sometimes turn off on its own, and then come back on again minutes or hours later, and again, it is always unresponsive to the app and physically pressing the buttons on it. Also, the green LEDS on the switch itself will flash. They won't flash as fast as when it is in pairing mode, but they do steadily flash.

I have reset the switch and then re-added it into the app, but the problem persists. I am getting to the point where I am going to return it, as I see nothing wrong with the wiring, and I am using a compatible bulb. Thank you.
    Is there a second switch for the hall light ?

3. Thanks rdporter81 thanked for this post
    Recessed lights have a thermal protector that will turn the light off if it overheats. When the can cools down, the thermal protector resets and the light will turn back on.

Is this a low-voltage can? If the transformer wasn't designed to work with LEDs, operation would be erratic. It could also cause the transformer to run warmer than normal.

The dimmer needs to see the load to function. If the thermal protector cuts off the light or the LED is not compatible with the transformer, the dimmer can't see the load. Sometimes it will act like it has no power, others you will get LED indicator responses.

The test would be to put the incandescent back in and see if the system settles down.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

5. Thanks rdporter81 thanked for this post
    Thank you for your replies. For the first question, there is not a second switch.

As to the second reply, this is not recessed lighting, it is just a standard light on the ceiling. I will try an incandescent to see if that works. It isn't low-voltage. It's just a circuit from the breaker box that has a switch and a light in a single pole configuration. It is literally the most basic wiring diagram for a light that can exist. I really do not understand why the caseta system doesn't just work.

Does anyone have an idea as to why the LEDS (the green ones on the switch) are blinking?

The blink codes are listed on p.73

http://www.casetawireless.com/Docume...ced%20Inst.pdf
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

8. Thanks rdporter81 thanked for this post
    Usually it's an incompatible LED bulb.

10. Thanks rdporter81 thanked for this post
    Thank you for the response. It appears it wants me to install a LUT-MLC adapter, which is completely outside of my skill level. Too bad, but I appreciate the information.

The LUT-MLC is easy to install. Connect one end to the neutral (usually white) wire, and the other end to the load (the one that goes to the light).

Look here: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...94_LUT-MLC.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by rdporter81 View Post
    Thank you for the response. It appears it wants me to install a LUT-MLC adapter, which is completely outside of my skill level. Too bad, but I appreciate the information.