Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Recessed Lighting Clicking Noises

Recessed Lighting Clicking Noises

Hi all,

I am hoping someone could help me or shed some light on (no pun intended) something that I am experiencing with my LED recessed lighting. I moved into a home that has multiple 4" recessed LED lights made by Westgate (model RDL4-27K-WP http://www.westgatemfg.com/catalog/p.../category/100/). These are all controlled by either Lutron Diva dimmers or non-dimming switches.

The issue that I am experiencing is after the lights have been on, they will produce a clicking sound once they are shut off. They sometimes click when they are on, but mostly right after they are turned off. I made a video of this happening here - https://youtu.be/oDUOzAH5tVI. It happens to both lights that are on a dimmer switch and those that are on a regular switch.

I contacted Westgate about this, and they said that this can happen in some houses. They suggested to install an LUT-MLC behind the switches to fix the issue. I had an electrician come out and install LUT-MLCs on 3 of the switches, but the issue is still occurring.

My first concern is to make sure it isn't a safety issue. Beyond that, it is simply pretty annoying. Has anyone experienced something like this before or have information on what is causing this?

My initial though was that they might have a relay or some other electronics that open when the power is turned off. However, you said it sometimes occurs when the lights are still on. With that in mind, it sounds like the ticking of metal as it cools down. I've seen can lights with 150w bulbs in them and they don't make that noise. My guess is they have cheap electronics and that is causing the trim to get hot (more so than the can itself).

The can has a thermal protector that will shut the power off if the temperature gets too hot.

The MLC is not going to help with this issue. Especially since you say you have the same issue with a switch or dimmer.

Ironically, their documentation says it does not work with a DV-603P but does work with a DV-603PR, which is the same device in different packaging. They also don't state the country of origin.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

3. Thanks jrwilson thanked for this post
    Thanks Randy. The sound coming from the cans cooling down definitely makes sense. I think I'll try a different brand of light in a few places and see if that fixes the issue.

I think I'll also have the electrician remove the LUT-MLCs that were installed when I can get him back out here. Do you see any issues with leaving those in place for the time being?

The MLC won't hurt. It is exactly what it says, it is a synthetic minimum load to meet the minimum load requirements of the dimmer.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

6. Thanks jrwilson thanked for this post
    Hello jrwilson,

Thank you for your post!

We are happy to see the issue is possibly resolved. I agree with randyc this is definitely an issue with the can itself. However, I did want to advise the LUT-MLC is only rated for switches and ELV rated dimmers. Any locations where the LUT-MLC is installed with a Diva dimmer, we would recommend removing it.

Hope this helps!

Julia K.

8. Thanks randyc, jrwilson thanked for this post
    Thank you very much Julia. I did try replacing the Westgate trim with another brand and the clicking issue went away. I will have the electrician come out and remove the LUT-MLCs that were installed.

10. Likes randyc, Julia K. liked this post