Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Considering Lutron to replace GE/Jasco Z-Wave

Question Considering Lutron to replace GE/Jasco Z-Wave

I currently have GE/Jasco Z-Wave dimmers, switches, fan controls and a couple of outlets. These are connected to a Vera hub and integrated into my Control4 system with the native Vera drivers. Alexa integration is through Control4. My C4 controller is an EA-3. To get the C4 integration, I moved all the GE switches off Wink2 and SmartThings2 hubs, which I had been experimenting with.

The C4 integration is very nice, but the erratic response time of voice control through Alexa has resulted in my wife's use of Alexa becoming a seldom, if ever, event. Not what I was after, as she was using it as part of her regular routine. She says my use has diminished as well. I also lost my Apple Homekit integration, which I later learned was both of our primary hands-on interface to the lights, instead of the C4 app. Although these are factors, the primary factor for my considering a physical move to another system is the longevity of the GE switches. We have recently had two switches die (constant flashing blue light). When this happens, the switch is completely non-functional. The only fix is to replace the switches, which are conveniently just out of warranty. My research indicates I should expect this to continue.

We are also going to be adding at least one and eventually 6 more automated/motorized shades.

I was originally motivated by 60-70% savings over C4 dimmers/switches/etc. My wife was motivated by the "normal" look of the GE paddle/Decora switches and no branding. At this point, I think she's willing to overlook the branding to get functional switches back.

Options:
    1. Add a new Raspberry Pi based appliance to my C4 to get Homebridge back and replace each broken switch with a C4 as we go.
    2. Move to a Lutron solution.
    3. Status quo and replace broken switches with new GE switches.

I would consider option 2 if it would:
    a. Decrease Alexa response time and increase reliability of voice control.
    b. Integrate into Apple Homekit
    c. Integrate into C4
    d. Dimmer/switch cost less than C4
    e. Integrate blinds with C4, Alexa, and Homekit

I should note that I have over 50 devices on the Vera hub.

If I went with Lutron, would it meet these requirements (a-e, above) and what system would you recommend?
    Last edited by Elvis; 04-16-2018 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling counts

You should look at RA2 Select (100 devices/radios) or RadioRA2 (100 or 200 devices/radios). RadioRA 2 allows for a bigger footprint and has true keypads. Keypads may not be an issue if you are using C4.

a. I find the Alexa response time very quick. There are a couple of quirks but nothing major.
    b. Both support HomeKit
    c. Control 4 has drivers for RR2. Not sure if they have written the R2S driver yet.
    d. Lutron is always going to be more expensive. $140 for a 600w dimmer.
    e. Lutron has a complete line of blinds, drapes, shades, etc. They are not the least expensive on the block.

- - - Updated - - -

You should look at RA2 Select (100 devices/radios) or RadioRA2 (100 or 200 devices/radios). RadioRA 2 allows for a bigger footprint and has true keypads. Keypads may not be an issue if you are using C4.

a. I find the Alexa response time very quick. There are a couple of quirks but nothing major.
    b. Both support HomeKit
    c. Control 4 has drivers for RR2. Not sure if they have written the R2S driver yet.
    d. Lutron is always going to be more expensive. $140 for a 600w dimmer.
    e. Lutron has a complete line of blinds, drapes, shades, etc. They are not the least expensive on the block.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

3. Thanks Elvis thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post

b. Both support HomeKit
    According to this [1] thread, the official R2S C4 driver was released on 4/4/18!

[1] https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...ntrol4-drivers

Also - C4 dimmers are more expensive than Lutron RR2/R2S dimmers from what I have heard.

5. Thanks randyc, Elvis thanked for this post

Thanks...

Thank you both.

The cost of RA2Select vs. C4 is a big surprise. When it comes to the actual price a dealer charges (vs msrp), they're about equal. I'm going to have to find a Lutron dealer/showroom nearby.