Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Telnet Login Passwords strength?

Telnet Login Passwords strength?

Why is this stupid freakin program telling me my password isn't strong enough so I can't set login credentials? We should have the ability to use a 3 alpha numeric password to what ever length we choose. For all Lutron knows this could be installed on a closed network with out any WAN connection. Why does Lutron feel they need to determine what level of password protection is suitable for our installations? Why not let the dealers determine the level of security based on our needs. When I set of credentials for an AMX connection I like to use the same passphrase I've used on older systems. You know how many people are annoyed by long passwords. It's like we're back in the days when we had to use a HEX pass key for 104bit WEP encryption.

I also notice on this new QS system that I also had to fill in all the dealer info before I could transfer files. Why?
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

We live in a litigious society. We also live in a world where countries and criminals alike are dedicated to hacking into any system any way they can. The likely hood of backing into useful information through the lighting system seems remote but they still try. If a manufacturer doesn't provide a reasonable amount of security, they can be held liable, or at least dragged through a lawsuit.

Lutron says inputting the dealer info ensures clients are being serviced by authorized dealers. I'm not sure this works but that is what they say.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

So Lutron requires more security than my Cisco routers and switches because Lutron doesn't want to be liable if someone hacks through my Cisco firewall, gets into my network and accesses my Lutron system. Obviously this is due to port forwarding requirements for app remote access but still. If Lutron HomeWorks dealers don't know when or how much security they need or Lutron just doesn't have faith in our abilities to know what's best for ourselves we have some serious issues. Why not leave telnet alone and use another avenue for secure communications with apps? Use some other obscure port and real encryption similar to an IPSEC tunnel where all data is secure and encapsulated.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

I don't work for Lutron. I'm just theorizing. I don't think the issue is getting to the Lutron system. I think the issue is hackers getting into low-security systems like lighting, refrigerators, printers, etc. and backing into the main network. Anyway, I find Lutron's password requirements to be consistent with similar programs.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I don't work for Lutron. I'm just theorizing. I don't think the issue is getting to the Lutron system. I think the issue is hackers getting into low-security systems like lighting, refrigerators, printers, etc. and backing into the main network. Anyway, I find Lutron's password requirements to be consistent with similar programs.
    Lutron's requires more characters than any other system, program or gear I work with which means I have to create yet another password just to telnet into a system into a local system which is all telnet was ever meant to be. If I telnet remotely it's througha VPN so it's encapsulated in a higher security level. Remote access outside VPN encapsulation should be SSH or it should be a proprietary point to point tunneling protocol between the app and the processor which can have what ever long key chain they want. Unfortunately it is what it is.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT