Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RA2 Select Questios

You can manually program the fade time for RR2 dimmers. It's not easy but it can be done.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/048247.pdf
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

2. Thanks TechFocus thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    You will need the RadioRA2 main repeater and the Connect Bridge. You can alter the fade rate under the design tab of the software- right click on the dimmer in question and select advanced properties. You can change the fade rates of keypad buttons under programming tab, or via the app when editing the keypad. Essentials will not recognize the RA2S main at all.

Sorry you invested in a RA2S main, and now the next two pieces will be a bit more. Should be able to sell the RA2S main online, or convince a buddy to buy it and start on his house too.
    SDR-Mike,

Thank you. Yes it is a bit costly mistake I made here, but it could have been much worse like if I had gone with Caseta. In fact, I'm grateful that I actually have more flexibility than I had originally thought as Essential App with Main repeater is DIY. Main repeater of RadioRA2 is now on its way!

Randyc,

That's interesting. I've read on this forum or perhaps somewhere else that synching to RA2 Select will reset those setting?

Thank you to both

Quote Originally Posted by TechFocus View Post
    Randyc,

That's interesting. I've read on this forum or perhaps somewhere else that synching to RA2 Select will reset those setting?

Thank you to both
    I've heard the dimmer resets to factory defaults when added to the main repeater, regardless of RA2S or RadioRA2. I just called tech, if you run the APM prior to adding to the system, the dimmer SHOULD hold the APM changes, YMMV. If the dimmer is already in the system, you'll need to default (and delete from Caseta and RA2S)- set the APM- then re-add to your system. So we need someone to verify.

TechFocus, mind if I nominate you?
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    I've heard the dimmer resets to factory defaults when added to the main repeater, regardless of RA2S or RadioRA2. I just called tech, if you run the APM prior to adding to the system, the dimmer SHOULD hold the APM changes, YMMV. If the dimmer is already in the system, you'll need to default (and delete from Caseta and RA2S)- set the APM- then re-add to your system. So we need someone to verify.

TechFocus, mind if I nominate you?
    I am planning to migrating to RA2 Essential over this weekend, so preceding to that I can test it. Will let you know.

So I can(partly) confirm that with R2S, APM first and adding to R2S after does keep the system setting.

This is how I tested.

1. 6CL Dimmer registered to R2S. With it, my spouse did not like how dimmer has fade on/off instead of instant on/off. However, iOS app has no adjustment option with it.

2. First I tried to do APM while still on R2S. Basically, it won't even let me.

3. Factory reset 6CL.

4. APM. This time I could do it. I changed fade on/off and delayed long fade off, all to lowest setting.

5. Tested switch. Instant on to max brightness, still some delay to off but subjectively better.

6. Added back on to R2S. Instant on i.e. APM setting was kept. Now, here is a bit questionable part but fade off delay felt a bit longer than before adding back on to R2S.

7. So last test I did, deregister from R2S again (Factory reset), APM again to minimum delay setting and did the on off test. I still felt fade off is still faster while not on R2S.

*This is subjective test, and perhaps more objective one could be performed using some brightness test using feature such as trimming as that carries over to iOS app on R2S.

But nonetheless, I can say for Fade ON it for sure works. So there is definitely part that gets kept. From this point on, I believe it becomes question of is every setting get carried over or only some? I cannot do everything setting test here. But again, at least I know some does, but maybe not all?

7. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post

Grounding Access

3. More device options. I live in old home and many of my switches turned out to not have neutral wire, or even a ground wire access. But RA2 Select devices support these scenario as dimmer or switch.This is like my new hobby, so I do not intend to replace everything in my home right away with Smart switches, but one at a time, especially when I find a good deal. So cost difference are significant compared to Caseta but I won't see that at once, and when time comes, I can even go further with RadioRA2 upgrade.[/QUOTE]@TechFocus,I also live in a very old home. I've stated here before that this house has been in my wife's family forever. There was originally knob and tube wiring but was replaced with BX, probably almost a hundred years ago- 1920's. When we first moved in (25+ years ago), the first thing I checked was that every Switch Box, Outlet Box and Junction Box was Grounded. I've seen many Knob and Tube Upgrades where Grounding must've been Optional (at least to the Installer). I'm quite happy that was one issue I didn't have to deal with.If you have any Switch Boxes, Outlet Boxes, Junction Boxes or any other part of the Electrical Supply System in your home that is not Grounded, please make that a priority. A good Electrician can get your entire home properly grounded without tearing the house apart (especially if BX was used). Please strongly consider this, it's important that you do this. Thank you.Sincerely,heatman5

Bear broke into the garage.

Recently had to replace my garage door and garage door opener. Chose a Chamberlin. After discovering I could, potentially, talk to Siri and operate my garage door, I ordered a Chamberlain MyQ® Home Bridge. Thought I'd see what else I could do, so I started with a RR-SEL-REP2 and a fan control. I went with Lutron, because I've had a good experience with the product in the past. I bought an AR-ENT-1-WH last century, and still use it to turn on my outside lights as I approach my house. I live in the mountains, so cell service is poor. My plan was to add components as I could afford them. I had hoped I could add, at most, a new visor control, a new receiver and some new switch modules, ultimately controlling my outside lights with a visor control and my iPhone, but it looks like Lutron has given me no option other than upgrading to RadioRA2. I don't need to control my home's ambiance, wash the dishes and flush the toilets from my car visor. I just want to add RF control of the outdoor lights. I could continue to use the two systems separately, upgrade to a much more complex system or use a different brand, but I would prefer to stay with Lutron. Please share any other ideas you may have.

jsbaker, just an FYI: If you move to full Radio RA2 you won’t have Siri control of your fan controller anymore. Even though they support it with HomeKit on RA2 Select, they haven’t updated the Connect Bridge for full Radio RA2 to allow control of the fan controller. And be careful if you call or email Lutron about it. Before I got my Radio RA2 system I was told by a Lutron employee that it absolutely would work. Also told that over the phone. Put in a case since it wasn’t working and it was “sent to engineering” where they replied that they haven’t added it to Radio RA2 yet.

You'll have the same problem with Google Assistant- it does not recognize the speed of the fan in RadioRA2. I created a virtual keypad and has scenes on the keypad for the fan- FAN FAST- FAN HIGH- FAN MEDIUM- FAN SLOW- FAN OFF. Made the scenes visible to Siri/Alexa/Google and it works flawlessly.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I have a caseta system at home with Lutron light and shade swtiches (dimmers, on/off, pico's etc.). Some of my light fixtures are not compatible, even with the Caseta ELV switches. I'm wondering if any of these light switches can be integrated into my Caseta system: Maestro MAELV-600-WH DIVA DVELV-303P-WH Radio RA2 RRD-6NA(D)-WH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast