Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 4 way switch configuration

4 way switch configuration

Hello,

I am a new user to the forum and am not sure if this question has been asked? I have been searching the forum for a couple of hours trying to find something similar to my issue.

I have garage accent/security lights mounted on the front of my garage on either side of the door (2 total lights). The lights are controlled by 3 separate mechanical switches (2 - 3 way switches, and 1 - 4 way switch). I am trying to install one PD-6WCL with 2 pico remotes. Reading the advanced installation guide (found on the internet), I have done the following:

1. 4 way mechanical switch (will be replaced by Pico remote). I basically wired all 4 wires from the mechanical switch together with a wire nut.
    2. First 3 way mechanical switch (will be replaced by Pico remote). I basically wired all 3 wires from the mechanical switch together with a wire nut.

Note: at this point, I can still control the lights on/off from the second 3 way mechanical switch. When I try to replace this second 3 way mechanical switch with a PD-6WCL, I wire the green wire to the bare copper wire in the switch box. I wire the load wire to one of the black wires on the PD-6WCL and I wire the two traveler wires to the other black wire on the PD-6WCL. At this point I turn the breaker back on and the PD-6WCL seems to be operating correctly (meaning when I push the "on" button the green LEDs travel from the bottom of the switch to the top of the switch and when I press the "off" button the green LEDs travel from the top to the bottom of the switch). But, when I go check if the lights are on, there is nothing on.

Note: at this point, I tried wiring in the mechanical 3 way back in and the lights work (meaning can be turned on/off with the mechanical switch). So I tried wiring the PD-6WCL back in, and I still can't get the lights to turn on.

I am at a loss as to what could possibly be wrong. Is it possible the switch is bad?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

Lutron Technical Support
    Bryan,

It could be that the lights are incompatible with the dimmer.
    - Are these incandescent lights or LEDs?
    - Are these lights dimmable?

For outdoor/security lighting, I would recommend using a switch instead of a dimmer.
    If you have neutral wires in the wall box, I would recommend the PD-6ANS switch.
    If you don't have neutral wires in the wall box, I would recommend the PD-5WS-DV switch.

Well....after some serious trouble shooting, everything was wired correctly, turns out one of the lights had gone bad. Once I replaced the entire fixture, everything worked fine.

Thanks for the reply.

Bryan

Determining the main 3-way

Hi, I'm in a similar situation. How do you determine which 3-way switch is connected to the main?

With the light off, test for power at the common/black screw of the 3-way. No power = wire going up to the light (switch leg).

You can get a voltage stick (tester) from any hardware or big-box store. Just touch the screw/wire and it beeps if there is power. They can be very sensitive so make sure you are not getting results from a wire close by.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com