Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Dimming WAC invisiled Pro2 tape light

Dimming WAC invisiled Pro2 tape light

I recently purchased and installed 20 feet of WAC InvisiLED PRO2 tape light to replace the halogen lights that were under my cabinets. I was informed via cut sheets and phone calls with WAC lighting that the tape was compatible with an ELV dimmer. I went ahead and purchased a RRD-6NA to replace the RRD-6CL that was controlling the halogen UC lights. Via the essentials software I accessed the advanced settings for the RRD-6NA and set it for reverse phase. I am getting flickering on the tape light. The flickering is not terrible and often not even noticeable when the dimmer is at 100%. However, as the dimmer lowers the flickering increases. I have done some research and read that WAC and lutron products have some issues getting along. Has anyone stumbled upon a solution for the flickering I am getting with the InvisiLED tape light or am I left with the only option of removing the dimmer and using an 8ANS?

Can you confirm the model number of the power supply/transformer you have?
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I have (3) WAC EN-2460-P-AR-T. Each one is powering a 6'-7' length of the tape light.

WAC makes some great looking fixtures. Unfortunately their technical side is not so great. They only say that this power supply is (read "should be") dimmable with an ELV dimmer. If you look at the Lutron documentation, they test a variety of conditions and detail the best outcome (trim levels, min/max fixtures, etc.). WAC just says "should be..."

I'm a little surprised anybody would claim a wall-wort as dimmable. You could try the EN-2460-RB2-T transformer but there are no guarantees. You could try forcing the dimmer to forward phase. If WAC has misidentified the transformer, that might help.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    WAC makes some great looking fixtures. Unfortunately their technical side is not so great. They only say that this power supply is (read "should be") dimmable with an ELV dimmer. If you look at the Lutron documentation, they test a variety of conditions and detail the best outcome (trim levels, min/max fixtures, etc.). WAC just says "should be..."

I'm a little surprised anybody would claim a wall-wort as dimmable. You could try the EN-2460-RB2-T transformer but there are no guarantees. You could try forcing the dimmer to forward phase. If WAC has misidentified the transformer, that might help.
    I have always has TERRIBLE luck dimming anything from WAC using the digital Maestro or Caseta style dimmers. no matter the spec, no matter the dimmer. My 2 cents, swap the transformer for something equal voltage and magnetic. Not as small and pretty, but it will work. Otherwise, I suggest a nice soft spot on a brick wall trying to dim that WAC transformer to bang your head against.

WAC makes great products that dim well with the "mechanical" style dimmers from Lutron- Diva, Skylark, etc. Too bad they never seem to work with Ra or Caseta.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post

I have always has TERRIBLE luck dimming anything from WAC using the digital Maestro or Caseta style dimmers. no matter the spec, no matter the dimmer. My 2 cents, swap the transformer for something equal voltage and magnetic. Not as small and pretty, but it will work. Otherwise, I suggest a nice soft spot on a brick wall trying to dim that WAC transformer to bang your head against.

WAC makes great products that dim well with the "mechanical" style dimmers from Lutron- Diva, Skylark, etc. Too bad they never seem to work with Ra or Caseta.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

6. Likes randyc liked this post
    You may have better luck using a constant current dimmable interface like this (select the appropriate wattage) https://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Dim.../dp/B00BU6Y0IG then interface this directly to the tape - e.g. bypass their power solution.

Alan