Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Designer Change in 12.x

Question Designer Change in 12.x

I just read the release notes for Designer 12.x and the new requirement for having to supply your myLutron login during installation which is then verified on each use. If an internet connection is required to use Designer (due to the myLutron verification), what happens in the case where there is no internet connection at the customer's site? Many (many) times I am in a situation where I am commissioning a lighting system and there is no internet connection (or any customer supplied network) available. I always have with me an Apple AirPort Express which I use to "create" a wireless network and use the LAN port to provide a connection to the QS processor...and most times, the customer's network, along with their internet connection, is weeks (months?) away from being installed. If myLutron verification is required every time we use Designer, will I still be able to work on a customer's system where an internet connection is not available?

thanks

The first time you open the software, you will need an Internet connection and a myLutron login. After that, you only need Internet to extract the database.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

3. Thanks Blair S. thanked for this post
    That’s not how I read the release note for 12.0; my reading indicates that the install of Designer is verified every time it is used (the login is only needed the first time it is spun up...I assume Designer is caching some form of the credentials for subsequent validation). That doesn’t fly when working on getting a new install up and running when the network is not yet operational.

It's not the best wording but you only have to be connected to the Internet the first time you open the software. I think what they are trying to say is, even if you have a validated/legit copy of the software, 12.0 requires re-validation with a myLutron account.

I have uploaded many times without an Internet connection.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not the best wording but you only have to be connected to the Internet the first time you open the software. I think what they are trying to say is, even if you have a validated/legit copy of the software, 12.0 requires re-validation with a myLutron account.

I have uploaded many times without an Internet connection.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

6. Thanks Blair S. thanked for this post
    I've been using 12.3 for a while and I was only asked for my credentials the first time I opened the software. Just to test, I tried creating a new file while NOT connected to my WiFi and it opened and ran no problem.
    Audio, Video, Networking, & Automation Designed Around You

8. Thanks Blair S. thanked for this post
    Likes randyc liked this post
    but could you upload to a processor while not having an internet connection?

Quote Originally Posted by jkvossen View Post
    but could you upload to a processor while not having an internet connection?
    Working on a project right now (take over), where the system isn’t connected to the network (or internet). Works fine. You need to connect to the processors and set your PC to a static IP same as the processors.

I carry an old router and WAP with me to new construction projects and set up a temporary network to work with.
    Audio, Video, Networking, & Automation Designed Around You