Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Placement of hidden switches

Placement of hidden switches

I'm just getting started with RR2 with a new house I'm building. I'd like to hide 7 switches/dimmers in a closet ( will be controlled by keypad). Is there a panel that people are using to mount switches in, or would I just mount them on the wall inside the closet? I imagine that will look a bit odd. What are some suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilans1 View Post
    I'm just getting started with RR2 with a new house I'm building. I'd like to hide 7 switches/dimmers in a closet ( will be controlled by keypad). Is there a panel that people are using to mount switches in, or would I just mount them on the wall inside the closet? I imagine that will look a bit odd. What are some suggestions?
    On past projects we've specified and programmed, the electricians have all had their own tricks. The best one I've seen so far were large metal gangboxes with reducing mudrings. The gangbox would be 6 gangs wide, and they would install a 4 gang mudring. This allowed for lots of room for splices out of the way of dimmers. Once completed the wall surface looked clean.

You could use a Wall Box Module to get 6 zones instead of all dimmers

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...HWQS%20WPM.pdf

4. Likes Eric H. liked this post
    I'm not real clear on the mudring thing. Would you happen to have a pic ?

Please keep in mind the derating if you are ganging multiple devices in the same box. If you have room I would use as many boxes as makes sense, & prefer the mason box (up to 6gang available) to the box/mudring, as the added depth helps with the wire fill.

The flip side is wallplates get expensive over 4-gangs.

We use all single gang deep plastic boxes and then it takes the derating guesswork out of the electricians hands.....

Or go with centralized wiring. As in, all the loads get pulled back to the electrical room. Everything goes back and is switched from there. Plenty of systems do it this way (Homeworks QS can) so it's not an unusual setup (panelized dimmers). You'd just need to have an electrician savvy with designing it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilans1 View Post
    I'm not real clear on the mudring thing. Would you happen to have a pic ?
    Something like this perhaps?

http://www.garvinindustries.com/elec...8-deep/gb-1588

Watch the video.

As long as you don't have to deal with clients swapping out LED lamps after the fact. I have found it to be dangerous to lock them down to this wallbox module. If you used 6 dimmer locations instead you can swap out any dimmer for an adaptive (6NA) to solve most LED dimming problems. Anybody agree or disagree?

As for backroom mounting, I have found that plastic (doesn't metal interfere with the RF?) 2 gangs reduce the derating that other electricians (if you are not the sparky) may have to worry about. The dimmers would be good for 100w less than stated in all cases. They are easier to keep level as well. That metal 6 gang can get sloppy after the drywallers are done with it. And the 6 gang lutron claro coverplates cost a small fortune!!!

i personally use the 4 gang metal mason boxes, located in a closet down low to the ground. i will use as many boxes as necessary. i have yet to have an issue with the box being metal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast