Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Placement of hidden switches

Quote Originally Posted by Trax95008 View Post
    i personally use the 4 gang metal mason boxes, located in a closet down low to the ground. i will use as many boxes as necessary. i have yet to have an issue with the box being metal.
    for big jobs we like to do this:

We use 4x4 troughs with decora handy box covers. We take as long a trough as we need, using the HB cover as a template, we mark the first plate holes on the trough lips. Then we place another HB plate right along side of the first and mark the lip again. We do this all the way across the trough. Then, we take a 6-32 drill tap combo and start drilling and tapping the device holes using the previously made marks as a lateral guide. Of course we drill/tap the holes inward slightly to accommodate the device holes. You can also forgo the device screw holes and just drill/tap the plate holes and use those screws to hold both plate and the dimmer to the trough (of coarse you would have to take a tip of a speedbore flat bit and remove the threads innthe dimmer’s plate holes).

After this is done, we install all the radio ra dimmers across the trough with NO FINS BROKEN and a nice big steel heatsink behind them. Then we put the handy box covers on and they look so nice all side by side across that trough. If we don’t fully populate the trough, we cut the trough’s cover to fill out the unused portion. We actually leave spare room for furture additions

That sounds good and I'm sure it works well However in NYC if that assembly didn't have a UL label we would fail.

Attachment 751This is an example of the trough method. We have some dimmer boosters in it too at the left end. The blankoff made by cutting the trough cover hasn’t been installed yet.

Point taken. I would like more detail on that. I’m not going to loose sleep over my Installationn How baout those guys that shove RR2 dimmers inside PVC screw cover boxes? However, I work on Long Island and never had a problem passing this. But then again, we’re allowed to wire dwellings with Romex which I feel should be banned altogether. I have yet to see a house out here that doesn’t/didn’t have mice, long nails and drywall screws (thank God for AFCI). Besides, the way some people install the NM can be unbelievable at times - yet it passes.

Having said that, If anyone chooses to use my method, my it be at your own risk.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Nukie Poo; 03-01-2018 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Disclaimer

Quote Originally Posted by Nukie Poo View Post
    Point taken. I would like more detail on that. I’m not going to loose sleep over my Installationn How baout those guys that shove RR2 dimmers inside PVC screw cover boxes? However, I work on Long Island and never had a problem passing this. But then again, we’re allowed to wire dwellings with Romex which I feel should be banned altogether. I have yet to see a house out here that doesn’t/didn’t have mice, long nails and drywall screws (thank God for AFCI). Besides, the way some people install the NM can be unbelievable at times - yet it passes.

Having said that, If anyone chooses to use my method, my it be at your own risk.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Your image link is not working.

I work all over and nothing when I mean nothing compares to working in Manhatten on electric

Im not knocking your way Im simply saying in Manhattan I wouldn't risk having to show a UL label thats all

I understand. The only listing problem I see would be the use of a wireway to contain devices is probably not a listed use.

Quote Originally Posted by mcignarella View Post
    Your image link is not working.

I work all over and nothing when I mean nothing compares to working in Manhatten on electric

Im not knocking your way Im simply saying in Manhattan I wouldn't risk having to show a UL label thats all
    Here’s the photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 91B33649-D7F4-42CE-A62B-B1B5AEEF2286.jpeg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12