Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Did third part use of Smart Bridge Change?

Did third part use of Smart Bridge Change?

Up until Saturday morning (3/31/18) I was using 3 Caseta dimmers and 3 pico remotes and controling them from Home Assistant through a smart bridge.

I had been using them for about 3 months.

Then for no apparent reason they stop responding to Home Assistant. Several in the Home Assistant Community are have the same problem.

It appears that the certifications and keys may have changed and the script that was used to generate the keys no longer works.

1. Does anyone no what may be causing the problem?
    2. Know how to correct the problem?
    3. Know if usability can be restored by swapping to a Smart Bridge Pro?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I did see there were versions of the CAS/R2S and RR2/HQS iOS apps that came out last Friday(?). Make sure your apps are up to date.

I don't think the Smart Bridge Pro would help. It just adds a couple of features. It doesn't change any protocols, etc.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I did see there were versions of the CAS/R2S and RR2/HQS iOS apps that came out last Friday(?). Make sure your apps are up to date.

I don't think the Smart Bridge Pro would help. It just adds a couple of features. It doesn't change any protocols, etc.
    The issue is that something was changed with SSL/TLS access, which is not officially supported but was what the HomeAssistant app was using to connect.

The Pro also has Telnet - which is also not officially supported, but is used by more third party programs so not likely to break.

It would be 'nice' if Lutron officially stated that the telnet access will remain operational on the Pro as many of us are considering throwing out our non-Pro models right now and plunking down more $$.

It would be even nicer if Lutron would allow third party (open source project) access to the non-pro, but not holding my breath.

xnappo

I haven't seen any Lutron documentation referencing Telnet and Caseta. I don't read the developer documentation.

I would be surprised if Lutron was updating Bridges without the owners knowledge. However, I believe most of the communication is routed through the Lutron servers. I would not be surprised if Lutron made some changes there that affected non-supported access. Lutron isn't very big on open source and it sounds like they just closed a couple of open source doors.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I would be surprised if Lutron was updating Bridges without the owners knowledge. However, I believe most of the communication is routed through the Lutron servers. I would not be surprised if Lutron made some changes there that affected non-supported access. Lutron isn't very big on open source and it sounds like they just closed a couple of open source doors.
    The communication in question does not go through the servers, so this was a firmware update (which is not surprising, it has been done before). Your assessment of the situation is correct, however - Lutron is not being supportive of open source for their mass market products, likely due to outdated ideas of what constitutes 'security'. But this is not really surprising.

Again - a comment from Lutron that the Pro model 'Telnet' access is not on the chopping block would be appreciated.