Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Outdoor lighted switch

Outdoor lighted switch

I need to place a very visible switch control outdoors to turn an electric fence on and off (bear deterrent). The energizer would plug into a switched outlet in the garage, presumably controlled by an 8ANS. Outside, the switch has to be easy to find, even in the dark. A single or two button keypad could do the trick, I suppose. The regular keypad buttons are kind of small, but they do give off a nice glow. Would the Pallodiom keypad be a better choice, maybe a two button for Bear Fence On and Bear Fence Off? Is the backlighting strong enough through the engraving to make it easy to spot in the dark from 10-15 feet?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hi JeffW, the 2 button Palladiom keypad has variable back light intensity and when set to high, is easy to see at a distance. Unfortunately these keypads are not rated for outdoor use and we wouldn't be able to recommend this application. Being outdoors could reduce the life of the keypad and would void the warranty.

Outdoor rating

Understood. The keypad would be in an outdoor weatherproof enclosure. I know I can get the regular Decora style keypad in there, but maybe not the Pallidiom?