Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: RadioRA 2 Integration with Cox Homelife (Xfinity) for Alarm Integration?

Question RadioRA 2 Integration with Cox Homelife (Xfinity) for Alarm Integration?

Hi there,

I just spoke w/ Lutron & Cox Homelife tech support. This is mostly Greek to me, so I'm largely parroting what I heard.

Lutron basically said that its alarm option can work with
    a string command received via ethernet or RS232 to one of the 100 virtual buttons on the main repeater. If not that, it can it trigger via a contact closure (VCRX).

The Homelife tech support representative had never heard of Lutron. When I asked whether they might be able to work with either of the above ways of interfacing it was a quick "no". He stated that Homelife, which I understand to be rebranded Xfinity, is built on Zigbee.

Assuming he is right, is there some way to bridge between the Lutron system and the Homelife Zigbee-based alarm?

This isn't the end of the world if it doesn't work, but I'm considering moving to faster internet than my Uverse is offering, and if I make the move to Cox I wouldn't mind the bundled price for everything, including the alarm.

Thanks

If you can find a contact closure output device that is Zigbee, you could have it come in to the VCRX on one of its inputs (there is a dedicated input for the Security Full/Flash). I have a similar setup for a Zwave device from SmartThings to my VCRX. Big question is finding the output device that is compatible with the Cox Zigbee controller.
    Last edited by SDR-Mike; 03-26-2018 at 04:28 PM. Reason: spelling
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by millim View Post
    Hi there,

I just spoke w/ Lutron & Cox Homelife tech support. This is mostly Greek to me, so I'm largely parroting what I heard.

Lutron basically said that its alarm option can work with
    a string command received via ethernet or RS232 to one of the 100 virtual buttons on the main repeater. If not that, it can it trigger via a contact closure (VCRX).

The Homelife tech support representative had never heard of Lutron. When I asked whether they might be able to work with either of the above ways of interfacing it was a quick "no". He stated that Homelife, which I understand to be rebranded Xfinity, is built on Zigbee.

Assuming he is right, is there some way to bridge between the Lutron system and the Homelife Zigbee-based alarm?

This isn't the end of the world if it doesn't work, but I'm considering moving to faster internet than my Uverse is offering, and if I make the move to Cox I wouldn't mind the bundled price for everything, including the alarm.

Thanks
    I would not let them put a bell on a wandering cow, much less put in a security system to protect my home and family. They never heard of Lutron?? Highly unlikely but maybe... They also said they are not interested in working with you. That's only going to get worse once they have your money. If their system really doesn't have any way to integrate with other systems it is antique technology.

We used to put a 12v relay on the horn circuit and connect it to the MFE (VCRX predecessor) so you had a maintained CCI anytime the horn was sounding. I haven't done that since 2002 or so.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

4. Likes gt3mike liked this post