Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Home Plus app together with Connect app?

Home Plus app together with Connect app?

I've installed a half dozen connect bridges so far but for the first time today I actually saw the app and it's pretty terrible looking compared to the Home Plus app. The home Plus app is a deluxe and beautiful thing out of the box but the connect app looks very basic and like something that would have came out 10 years ago.

Would it be terribly confusing to tell a customer to use both apps? Why hasn't Lutron unified the two apps?

The Home Plus app is from software version 3.0+ and I believe uses the telnet commands directly to the main. The Connect app is designed to work with the bridge and is using a different protocol, and then uses the Connect Bridge to communicate with the main repeater. Updating the Home Plus would break the app for all the older systems already in play that are not using a Connect Bridge.

Landscape Ipad, I still use the Home Plus app, but find the Connect far easier to navigate from my phone. That being said, certain things like the direct Lutron thermostat controls from the Home Plus are nice, as is the ability to select the timeclock mode form the pull down menu. I haven't run a Lutron HVAC controller or TouchPRO from the Connect, but I know the TC mode is lost in the Connect app and requires a keypad button for mode switching. Not a problem at my house as I have this button on a keypad by the front door and can "add" to the favorites on the Connect App and voice assistants.

I personally love the new redesign of the Connect app and it's ease of use. I think the features used in the Home Plus app that are lost can easily be overcome.

Editing keypads has been, other than visually different, identical between the two apps.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I agree with you with the phone/tablet. what happened was we put the app on the customer's phone and it worked reasonably well - she especially liked the "x lights are on" notification. I noticed she had an ipad also and thought it would look even better the way the Home Plus was and it just turned out to be almost the same as the phone.

You CAN control the TouchPro from the Connect App, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    Haven't had the privilege to test this yet, maybe one of the Lutron-ites can chime in on this. I would assume so, as I just checked my Connect app, and have control of my NEST 3rd gen.
    Last edited by SDR-Mike; 03-21-2018 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Grrrr. Double Posting

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    Yes, you can edit TouchPro schedules and set points via both Home+ and the Connect App. I just trained a client on both applications with his phone and the process is very similar between the two.

6. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post
    Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    I tell customers to use HC+ when inside the house (on the LAN) and Connect when outside the house. The layout is a little different but functionally it is very close.

I've also noticed some latency in Connect. It seems like it goes out to the Internet, then to the slowest servers in the galaxy (i.e. Lutron), and back to the house. Even if you are standing in the house.

You should have seen the HWI app. It was ok functionally. Graphically, it rivaled Atari Space Invaders!
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I've also noticed some latency in Connect. It seems like it goes out to the Internet, then to the slowest servers in the galaxy (i.e. Lutron), and back to the house. Even if you are standing in the house.
    I haven't noticed that latency much, but every once on a while it will lag a bit, maybe a second. According to the Lutron engineers, acceptable latency for response in Caseta and R2S is 400 milliseconds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I haven't noticed that latency much, but every once on a while it will lag a bit, maybe a second. According to the Lutron engineers, acceptable latency for response in Caseta and R2S is 400 milliseconds.

9. Likes randyc liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post

- - - Updated - - -

The same engineers that can't fix the double post here? I'm kidding. Lutron engineers are the best in northeast Bucks County!
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

11. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post