Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: NEW 3-way installation with mechanical switch

NEW 3-way installation with mechanical switch

If I'm reading the diagrams correctly here: http://www.casetawireless.com/Docume...ced%20Inst.pdf - there's no need to run two travellers (a total of three wires) to the mechanical switch, just to jumper two together, right? I can just run two wire to a normal switch and use that as the mechanical switch? It would fit the schematic diagram on page 30 (and it seems something similar would be doable with the diagram on page 24).

It would be nice to have some new installation diagrams - not everyone is replacing existing wiring or using PICO remotes.

No. In the application shown on p.30, the mechanical toggle switch is being used as a line-voltage contact closure. The travelers are not tied together.

Traveler 1 sends power to the Caseta switch. This connection could be made directly on the toggle without need for a jumper.

Traveler 2 sends the output of the toggle/CC to the Caseta switch blue wire. When the Caseta switch sees a change in voltage on the blue wire it knows the other end wants to turn the light on/off.

The white/neutral is carried through to complete the circuit.

Even if it were possible, I would not recommend it. You would be establishing a proprietary wiring method making it difficult, if not impossible, to use anything but Lutron Caseta. You could never use traditional 3-way devices. You would have double the number of SKUs - 1 for retrofit and 1 for new construction/proprietary wiring method.

I would also note that Caseta is designed to be a retail product so the majority of installations are going to be retrofit.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by bombcar View Post
    If I'm reading the diagrams correctly here: http://www.casetawireless.com/Docume...ced%20Inst.pdf - there's no need to run two travellers (a total of three wires) to the mechanical switch, just to jumper two together, right? I can just run two wire to a normal switch and use that as the mechanical switch? It would fit the schematic diagram on page 30 (and it seems something similar would be doable with the diagram on page 24).

It would be nice to have some new installation diagrams - not everyone is replacing existing wiring or using PICO remotes.
    Like Randy said, I would not run 14/2 for future considerations and the chance the customer would want normal switches