Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Best way to program lights to automatically turn off after a period of time?

Best way to program lights to automatically turn off after a period of time?

Fairly new to programming HWQS. If there's a tutorial or FAQ with the answer please point me there.

Homeowner would like lights to automatically turn off after a period of time. Use case is if someone leaves a light on and forgets about it, it eventually turns itself off.

I've seen logic triggers in other systems of the form "if a light is on for > N minutes then do something". I can't seem to figure out how HWQS handles this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The best way to do this would be via Occupancy. You can simulate occupancy in an area via a button press with a function called "Rollback" which will do exactly what you're looking for.

3. Thanks Blair S. thanked for this post
    Likes Blair S. liked this post

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    The best way to do this would be via Occupancy. You can simulate occupancy in an area via a button press with a function called "Rollback" which will do exactly what you're looking for.
    Got it. I set up Rollback under Occupancy for a couple of rooms to test it. It looks like it's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

5. Thanks Blair S. thanked for this post
    You could do an automatic sequence. They basically say "do this then after a specified time, do that." They can be called from a dimmer or a keypad button.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

7. Thanks Blair S. thanked for this post
    I usually program the button as a press and release with the press turning the light on and the release starting a delayed off for as many seconds, minutes or hours as desired.

Quote Originally Posted by lmaugustin View Post
    Fairly new to programming HWQS. If there's a tutorial or FAQ with the answer please point me there.

Homeowner would like lights to automatically turn off after a period of time. Use case is if someone leaves a light on and forgets about it, it eventually turns itself off.

I've seen logic triggers in other systems of the form "if a light is on for > N minutes then do something". I can't seem to figure out how HWQS handles this.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    David C. is correct. Just make sure you change the program type to conditional