Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MA-L3L3 with LEDs

MA-L3L3 with LEDs

Hi all,

First, apologies as I think this is a pretty frequently discussed subject and I am aware I am using this product out of spec. However, I haven't seen any post that address my scenario specifically so I thought I would at least post and see if there is a possible solution.

I have a stacked dual dimmer switch, MA-L3L3, with one switch going to 3 60w pendant lights. The second switch is going to a dimmable 120v to 12v transformer driving about 25w of LEDs (under cabinet lighting). These are running on a shared neutral.

The LED lights turn on, off and dim with no issues at all.

The issue is strangely enough, that the incandescent lights are flickering, but ONLY when the LED lights are OFF. If the LEDs are on, then the incandescent lights also turn on, off and dim properly.

Taking the LED lights off the switch altogether also result in the incandescent lights functioning properly.

Does anyone have any suggestions? As plan B, I am considering switching out for MA-L3S25, which is a stacked switch but only one of the switches has a dimmer in the hope the incandescents will run properly with a simple on and off switch.

Thanks in advance!

I am mostly wondering if perhaps a diode would help and if so, what kind I might use.

Thank you!

I believe this part number has been revised, and a new version designed for LED has been released. I cannot find it on the website, unfortunately. I would call Lutron Tech support (on every box) and they should be able to assist with the new part number, or the necessary info to get the new version designed for LED.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    I believe this part number has been revised, and a new version designed for LED has been released. I cannot find it on the website, unfortunately. I would call Lutron Tech support (on every box) and they should be able to assist with the new part number, or the necessary info to get the new version designed for LED.
    Thanks for the reply, and for attempting to look for a replacement #. I did call tech support and if the tech i spoke to is correctly informed, then there is no dual stack switch that supports LED. Also, they were not open to even attempting to provide any potential solutions with this configuration or help speculate as to cause.

I am just somewhat hopeful that given that the incandescent lights are the ones that are flickering -- as opposed to the dozens of thread I've come across that have issues with LEDs -- that this is a solvable problem.

Hello ninjajim4,

Thank you for your post!

Unfortunately, at this time there is still no LED rated dual control. The MA-L3L3 when in the off position leaks a small amount of voltage, this can sometimes cause LEDs to generate line noise. This line noise could be feeding back to the incandescent and causing the flickering you are seeing. You can try the MA-L3S25, however we cannot guarantee it will resolve the issue.

The best solution would be to expand the wallbox with two separate dimmers, and two separate neutral runs.

Hope this helps!

Julia K.

I am having some issues with an MA-L3L3 (single gang, dual dimmer). The fan makes a humming noise. I know it's not the fan, because I replaced a broken switch and the fan made no noise with the old switch. I also have dimmable LED bulbs that don't work so well. They dim to about 50% and then shut off. I can live with that, but there is some cross-talk between the fan circuit and the light circuit. The light switch will be off, but when the fan switch is dimmed to the middle, the lights will light up. They don't do it when the fan is at full power or at minimal power; only in the middle.

However, the fan makes a humming noise at pretty much any dimmer setting. Anybody have any advice about either of these issues? Are they related?

Hello wpaldridge,

Thank you for your post!

The MA-L3L3 is not rated for fan loads. We would not recommend using it with a fan load as it can cause exactly what you are seeing, the fan motor to hum.

We do have a Maestro control rated for a 3-speed fan and LED lights, its model number is MACL-LFQ. I have linked its product page below:

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

Hope this helps!

Julia K.

Quote Originally Posted by Julia K. View Post
    Hello ninjajim4,Thank you for your post!Unfortunately, at this time there is still no LED rated dual control. The MA-L3L3 when in the off position leaks a small amount of voltage, this can sometimes cause LEDs to generate line noise. This line noise could be feeding back to the incandescent and causing the flickering you are seeing. You can try the MA-L3S25, however we cannot guarantee it will resolve the issue.The best solution would be to expand the wallbox with two separate dimmers, and two separate neutral runs. Hope this helps!Julia K.
    MA-L3S25 resolved the issue. Line leak seems like a design flaw. Also seems fixable via diode. Oh well, moved on... =)