Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What is the best practices for a contractor?

What is the best practices for a contractor?

I've been a Lutron programmer for over a decade with pretty much all their residential systems (except for Aurora Ra...that was just terrible). I never paid a whole lot of attention to Caseta because it was a DIY system and a lot of our customers don't want to know how the sausage is made and just want something that works, but as Caseta has become popular, I've had to install it a few times and it has been kind of clunky so I need to know how to best approach the programming. In particular, how to avoid having to use the homeowner's phone. In the case of the dealer install systems, I have my laptop, and worst case, I may need to get into their router to set a static IP or something, but with Caseta, I have to hold the customer's phone for an hour or more and a phone is a very personal thing with text messages, phone calls, tinder messages, etc. so there is a risk of creating an awkward moment which I need to avoid.

I know there is a contractor mode but for the life of me, I can't find any guide about how to use it and how to best use it.

1. Assuming there is a home network, how do I use it before the homeowner has any access? Is it in my name and then at some point the homeowner gets access? Before the homeowner has access, does that mean I can control the house remotely and several houses remotely? How do I fully transfer the account over to the homeowner?

2. If a homeowner already has a system and wants to add things, can I still use contractor mode to temporarily take over and then give access back or at that point, I need to ask them for their user name and password and put it in my tablet or phone to do the work and then tell them to change their password?

3. What if I have a few customers who actually don't mind me having remote access and call me to add scenes for them without coming to their house? Can I do that?

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    I know there is a contractor mode but for the life of me, I can't find any guide about how to use it and how to best use it. Sign out of the app from an existing account. The Contactor Set-up should appear at the bottom of the screen. This may require you to fill in your contractor info and or LutronPRO account info (customer sees on the help screen). LutronPRO gives customer a chance to upgrade their warranty just by registering at Lutron.

1. Assuming there is a home network, how do I use it before the homeowner has any access? Is it in my name and then at some point the homeowner gets access? Before the homeowner has access, does that mean I can control the house remotely and several houses remotely? How do I fully transfer the account over to the homeowner?-In contactor mode, you build and design the system on their network. SmartBridge will update automatically, then you can begin. At the end, you can "transfer" to the homeowner via an email that explains the process by which they take control of the system and it automatically downloads it to their phone.

2. If a homeowner already has a system and wants to add things, can I still use contractor mode to temporarily take over and then give access back or at that point, I need to ask them for their user name and password and put it in my tablet or phone to do the work and then tell them to change their password? -No, just add via their phone, or log in to their account.

3. What if I have a few customers who actually don't mind me having remote access and call me to add scenes for them without coming to their house? Can I do that?-You can remotely log into their account and then add what you need. You just need to remember to log out before demo-ing to the next customer.
    Here is a screenshot of the email to one of my customers for a RA2 Select system, this is identical to Caseta.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lutron Intro Email.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	753
    Last edited by SDR-Mike; 03-02-2018 at 11:17 AM. Reason: darn double posting!!
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Thanks for posting that. So at that point they have to set up their account online first and then they can sign up on their mobile device and it will pull down the programming? Do they need to be at home on the local network for that to happen?

I set up a gmail account and password for them. I use a standard like smithlighting@gmail.com and a unique but similar password. When I finish, I give them the credentials. That way I have access if necessary.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    Thanks for posting that. So at that point they have to set up their account online first and then they can sign up on their mobile device and it will pull down the programming? Do they need to be at home on the local network for that to happen?
    They would download the app and create the account on whatever email they choose. They also select their password at that time. randyc's suggestion is a good one, and I have placed the app on their phone for them. I often make the password something consistent (won't share due to security concerns) that I can always recall- and yes it changes every time.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols