Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: concerned about myLutron requirement to use software

concerned about myLutron requirement to use software

I noticed in version 12, it now requires logging in with myLutron credentials. This concerns me on a few levels. First and foremost, how often does this happen? Is it once when you first install the software or do we need it every time? I often work on construction sites before any networking is put in place and have to use a temporary standalone router.

Even more scary is what would happen if Lutron took away credentials for whatever reason - perhaps a new sales team comes in and says "Unless you're selling xxx amount, we don't want you to have access to the software" and then all of a sudden I'm cut off from all my existing customers. It's not far fetched, I've seen other companies do that and now days with the pro installs circling the wagons to protect themselves from DIYers, it scares me.

Third, now that the software requires internet connection, what information is it phoning home? Does Lutron know the customer information now? This is not good.

It is just an initial software activation, and you don't need an internet connection to use it after activation. No additional information is passed back to the Lutron servers.

Do we still need to do the activation for inclusive if it's a new install or will it automatically know that based on our account?

You'll still need to download the activation code for a new computer, but the windows security key will remain on an existing machine to unlock the 12.0 for Inclusive.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

You now have to enter your company name, phone number, and email prior to uploading. I have no idea what information, if any, is sent to Lutron.

You have to manually register your projects in myLutron to get the extended warranty (a good deal for the client) and credit for any incentive programs.

I know a Lutron dealer that hasn't sold any Lutron in at least 2 years and is still a dealer. Another only sells Control 4 and he is still a dealer. Lutron does like to manage the larger commercial projects themselves. That's a good deal too. You get some money and Lutron does all the work.

There have been a couple of upgrades where the Inclusive info got lost. 2 minutes, jump through a couple of flaming hoops and it was back.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    You now have to enter your company name, phone number, and email prior to uploading. I have no idea what information, if any, is sent to Lutron.
    This little "feature" was a request from dealers throughout the product life cycle. This information is now shared with the customer when they hit the help or support tabs on the apps, giving the customer easy access to the installer's info for additional work or warranty. Lutron's info is also on that tab.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols