Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What is the go to LED downlight?

What is the go to LED downlight?

I would like to know what is the go to LED Downlight that has best response on rrd-10nd?

I recently got excellent performance (dim range and not glary) and a low price with HyperIkon. 950ish lumens in various colors. They use Amazon to ship. US-based, UL listed. All the value to mid-price LED [Title24 or Edison retrofits] are Chinese...as all things made in China it *totally depends on QC implementation by importer-distributor*. Buy a spare if its critical with anything to match perfectly. Buy just one to test first if critical and you have the time.
    I was using the less costly RRD-6ND. YMMV

No not Lutron tested. But most OEMs are certified by them for Lutron dimmers. And neutral dimmers should give better range and fewer issues

Even the brands change what they import frequently.

The all the BAA(Buy American Act) made is USA ones for govt contracts etc. are VERY $$$.

There are a lot of variables to consider. Ceiling height, CRI, color temp, what is being lighted, et. al.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I can't say for sure with the rrd-10nd, but LED downlights are mainly (pretty much exclusively) a function of the LED module and the driver. Unlike halogen and incandescent lights, the optics and reflector don't affect anything despite what some may claim.

If you want the best quality architectural downlight, it's worth focusing on who supplies the LED module. In my view, the best lights are built on Xicato LED modules (www.xicato.com). Many light fixtures manufacturers (any worth their salt) will specify the module such as the Xicato XTM or XSM package. Also, keep in mind that Xicato specifies the adapter, reflector manufacturer, and thermally validated heat sink with all their products destined for fixture manufacturers. So, there's no real value that the fixture manufacturer is adding other than making the trim, marketing it and distributing it. The module is also available in different lumen packages and CRIs of 80-95 depending on what you want to spend. The cost of the actual module to the fixture manufacturer is between $15 and $30 depending on the CRI and lumen output; this can be a useful guide for understanding how lucrative the business is.

Since you want a directly dimmable light, you're going to want to see what kind of phase dimmable driver they provide. I can't comment on phase dimmable drivers specifically, but most you'll find are someone else's rebadged drivers from manufacturers like Harvard in the UK. If you want 0-10v dimming, I can recommend EldoLED's 200/300/500 series drivers. Their 0-10v dimming range is unbelievable; they go just as low as Lutron 1% Hi-Lume drivers.