Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fireplace Control w/2 wire

Fireplace Control w/2 wire

I figured someone could help me identify what I need to get RadioRa2 to work with my gas fireplace. Currently it uses a basic switch to turn on/off the fireplace. It is just a 2 wire low voltage wiring. See attached pics. Anyone know how to achieve this with RRA2? Switch and relay (if so, where can I purchase relay or part#). Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	740

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	741

I haven't done it yet, but I'm planning to do it with an RRD-8ANS and one of these relays: https://www.functionaldevices.com/pr...etails/RIBU1C/

The LMJ-CCO could work but you would need a 24v power supply. Most gas fireplaces have a receptacle for the fan (probably controlled by the other switch in that box). I believe the LMJ also requires inclusive software.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

On another site, someone recommended using VCRX contact closures. You could use a 2 button Pico to replace the wall switch. Seems you would want to check the current through the switch. I think my fireplace uses 3v (because the fireplace can also run on 2 batteries) so the current would have to be very low.

Quote Originally Posted by gt3mike View Post
    On another site, someone recommended using VCRX contact closures. You could use a 2 button Pico to replace the wall switch. Seems you would want to check the current through the switch. I think my fireplace uses 3v (because the fireplace can also run on 2 batteries) so the current would have to be very low.
    Yes, the VCRX would work but I can't put that inside the wall or close to the fireplace. Using a relay and a switch is the best option I think. I'm gonna check the voltage but I do believe there is a battery pack below the fireplace...just have to open fireplace and inspect.

I'm actually suprised that more people haven't experienced this.

Thanks!

"I'm actually surprised that more people haven't experienced this."

At least 2 of us... EXACT same issue im my personal house. LV wires on 120V switch. Hearth & Home Technologies 2-sided fireplace unit. Forgot which brand.
    Thought of realy, not sure of 24V power details. No 120V in the wall box either; might be a LV ring anyway. Using their controller/remote for now

Quote Originally Posted by BigOil View Post
    "I'm actually surprised that more people haven't experienced this."

At least 2 of us... EXACT same issue im my personal house. LV wires on 120V switch. Hearth & Home Technologies 2-sided fireplace unit. Forgot which brand.
    Thought of realy, not sure of 24V power details. No 120V in the wall box either; might be a LV ring anyway. Using their controller/remote for now
    I can steal 120V from dimmer next to the LV switch but I'm gonna need a relax. I'm thinking solid state relay but unsure of which one is best (and small so it can fit within a 3 gang box which would also house 2 dimmers and switch. I still think there should be some guidance written somewhere but can't find it. Lutron???

Relay that is....but not sure which one is the best.

I for one, not expecting Lutron help on this one as it gets to code issues and liability.
    Lutron provides 120V switching or dimming. Not relays.
    Or in this case, the LMJ-CCO1-24-B is the correct part and Lutron provides a CCO.

In my opinion, really up to appliance OEM to provide guidance on how they advice interfacing on/off 24V to a 120V switch.
    Or it's up to trades or a PE to designate a workaround using the CCO.

Interfacing a 120V mechanical switch to the 24VDC contact is a normal practice, as the 120V switch is easily rated for the load on the 24V side. The LMJ-CCO1-24-B would be the most cost effective way to go with something simple like a BZ-50 power pack from WattStopper. It's finding the 120V power for the BZ-50 near the controls of the fireplace that is the big issue. If you can hide down near the fireplace, a Pico could be programmed to operate the CCO. This would be more cost effective than the VCRX, but space down near the fireplace would be a concern and may force the VCRX in to play (just plug in the power supply). Additionally, using the VCRX would be overkill as the other functions it can accomplish are abandoned. This is an easy problem, just a bit difficult to solve with Lutron alone.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast