Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mixed load on PD-6ANS or PD-6WCL problem. Wiring issue?

Mixed load on PD-6ANS or PD-6WCL problem. Wiring issue?

Hi all,

I've installed plenty of Caseta switches/dimmers throughout my house, but this particular instance has been the utmost "pain in the ***" so far.
    Case scenario:
    A stairs to the basement with PAR20 dimmable ceiling light at the middle landing, and a wall sconce with a dimmable Phillips LED bulb at the base landing in the basement. The original wiring setup is a 3-way with 2 standard switches at the top and the bottom of the staircase.
    I'm converting it to Caseta device with Pico remote. The appropriate wires have been bridged at the top of the stairs location according to the manual.
    When hooking up the actual Caseta devices at the bottom stairs location I get this:
    - PD-6ANS switch - the lights are on - the switch doesn't turn off/on the lights, but otherwise is fully operational i.e. it can connect to my SmartBridge Pro with no issues.
    - PD-6WCL dimmer - the light are on as well - the dimmer is down and not working at all.
    I tried different wire combinations, removed the sconce bulb etc., but the lights stay on, no matter what I do.

When I revert the to the original switches everything works fine.

I'm wondering if this is a wiring issue at this particular circuit, and need an fragging electrician to fix this **** up...?
    Or the Lutron Support Community can help?

Much appreciated,

Greg

Just a guess ... you may have bridged the wrong wires? With the lights not responding to the switch, sounds like the load line is connected with the incoming hot line.

If it were me, I would disassemble the bridged wires as well as pull out the switch, with the wires hanging out of the box, cap them all with wire nuts, then turn power back on and use a voltage sniffer to see which wires have power, this will tell you which wire to switch in, if you bridged the wrong wires at the top of the stairs, then you would see the power up in those wires and tell you were to start with debugging.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by istredd View Post
    Hi all,

I've installed plenty of Caseta switches/dimmers throughout my house, but this particular instance has been the utmost "pain in the ***" so far.
    Case scenario:
    A stairs to the basement with PAR20 dimmable ceiling light at the middle landing, and a wall sconce with a dimmable Phillips LED bulb at the base landing in the basement. The original wiring setup is a 3-way with 2 standard switches at the top and the bottom of the staircase.
    I'm converting it to Caseta device with Pico remote. The appropriate wires have been bridged at the top of the stairs location according to the manual.
    When hooking up the actual Caseta devices at the bottom stairs location I get this:
    - PD-6ANS switch - the lights are on - the switch doesn't turn off/on the lights, but otherwise is fully operational i.e. it can connect to my SmartBridge Pro with no issues.
    - PD-6WCL dimmer - the light are on as well - the dimmer is down and not working at all.
    I tried different wire combinations, removed the sconce bulb etc., but the lights stay on, no matter what I do.

When I revert the to the original switches everything works fine.

I'm wondering if this is a wiring issue at this particular circuit, and need an fragging electrician to fix this **** up...?
    Or the Lutron Support Community can help?

Much appreciated,

Greg