Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Relocation of wireless dongle?

Relocation of wireless dongle?

Ok, Im sure im not the only one to think about this....

I would like to "Rig" a way to put the wireless dongle instead of at the shade side, but located in closet where power supplies are located. What is the voltage of the Dongle? i "ASSume" that its the same as the drive. So, is it possible using standard qs cable to...

1. connect power to the shade using pins 1 and 2.

2. connect a wire from the wireless harness for communication to pins 3 and 4 of the main molex connector.

3. back at power supply side, attach both power to dongle, then pins 3 and 4 from wire run to the dongle?

Does this make sense to anyone?

If so, i could have all my wireless dongles in one room. this would mitigate wireless issues for the shades (it does happen). It wouldnt limit the number of repeaters as i would still need that for the controls of the house. But it would take away issues such as metal pockets that can block wireless.....

Sounds like a great idea. My concerns would be if you cut the molded connector off you void any warranty and depending on the voltage, how far you drive the the power (if necessary).
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Wireless Signals

I have installed 12 QS wireless shades in a clients house, the Aluminum pockets were surface mounted on the ceiling so I drilled holes where the antenna was and fed it through into the ceiling cavity. All had great receiving capability.

In the training it was said you could mount the wireless receiver remotely in a mech room but I would check on warranties for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuartyoung99 View Post
    I have installed 12 QS wireless shades in a clients house, the Aluminum pockets were surface mounted on the ceiling so I drilled holes where the antenna was and fed it through into the ceiling cavity. All had great receiving capability.

In the training it was said you could mount the wireless receiver remotely in a mech room but I would check on warranties for sure.
    Ditto- I've had several projects with wireless shades in aluminum pockets. No problems with RF range if you stay in the 30' rule.

Lutron Technical Support
    There are two cable extenders that you can use to move the dongle to a different location:
    QSYC-RF-EXT-10 (10" cable extender)
    QSYC-RF-EXT-120 (120" cable extender)