Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Button Doubleclick not doing what expected

Button Doubleclick not doing what expected

On an existing home with a Processor 8 with RF/Illumination setup, the original programmer basically only linked keypads with individual switch legs and didn't do any sort of Room/Scene setup to control lights as a group. The homeowner now wants me allow her to only push one button in the room for everything to come on, but she still likes to have the ability to control an individual light if she needs to and of course, getting a new keypad with more buttons is out of the question.

Fortunately, the engraving on the existing keypads is setup with the room name on top. For instance, the library is something like this:

Library
    Chandelier
    Bookshelf
    Desk

The Library button however only controlled the downlights.

My idea was to make Library be a toggle/room button to control all 4 loads in the room so she could turn on and off the entire room with the single button. I also checked the Doubletap box and for the doubletap, made the downlights be 100% and left the other 3 loads as "unaffected".

My hope was that if she ever needed to just turn on the downlights, she could double tap the top button and only the downlights come on. Instead, doubletapping, still turns on everything and if while everything is on, doubletapping turns everything else off except for the downlights. This of course ultimately achieves what I want, but requires an extra step.

My questions are:
    1. Why is this set up not doing what I expect it to do and it's affecting the "unaffected" lights?
    2. How would I fix it or any suggestions on a better solution that doesn't cost extra in parts?

One solution is to make the Library button a conditional button then program it something like this

On a "press "write it conditionally so 1st press is Library on next press library off basically a toggle to keep it simple for non regular users of the keypad. Of course writing this requires some knowledge of conditional programing to make the press act like a toggle.
    On a "Hold" program the button to turn all lights in the room On
    On a "Double Tap" program the button to turn all lights Off

This would not require any hardware the dis advantage is only people who know how its programed would be able to control all lights on and off.
    Something I thought of quickly Im sure there is 100 ways to accomplish this scenario its basically a user preference at this point.

Is this a 4 button Keypad ? If so all you need to buy to make it more buttons is a new engraving for the keypad. All the keypads can be any button configuration by changing the engraved plate . Its a must cheaper alternative. If it is a 4 button keypad it will cost 70.00 or so to buy a new engraving. Well worth the money rather then you programing and creating a scenario only the homeowner knows about.

Quote Originally Posted by mcignarella View Post
    One solution is to make the Library button a conditional button then program it something like this

On a "press "write it conditionally so 1st press is Library on next press library off basically a toggle to keep it simple for non regular users of the keypad. Of course writing this requires some knowledge of conditional programing to make the press act like a toggle.
    On a "Hold" program the button to turn all lights in the room On
    On a "Double Tap" program the button to turn all lights Off

This would not require any hardware the dis advantage is only people who know how its programmed would be able to control all lights on and off.
    Something I thought of quickly Im sure there is 100 ways to accomplish this scenario its basically a user preference at this point.

Is this a 4 button Keypad ? If so all you need to buy to make it more buttons is a new engraving for the keypad. All the keypads can be any button configuration by changing the engraved plate . Its a must cheaper alternative. If it is a 4 button keypad it will cost 70.00 or so to buy a new engraving. Well worth the money rather then you programing and creating a scenario only the homeowner knows about.
    I think this particular one is a 5 or 6 button keypad (I wanted to leave it simple for the example) This would be a once in a blue moon type of thing anyway so I think they would be ok with something simple like that. I think a conditional would be something I need to look into. I've never really felt the need to do it for a customer since I like to keep it simple, but had done many of them in the classes...I just need to remember the syntax since it's a little different from QS (and the other system I deal with)...I don't even remember Illumination having a hold option.

The simplest option is to see in the software what the button config is. If its a 5BR/L just buy a 6 button Raise Lower faceplate and make button 6 a toggle all on all off its not that expensive to buy a cover with the engraving. If your interested in going the other way I can help you with writing an example button programing.

5. Likes Armando B. liked this post
    The double tap function is not really that easy. Unfortunately there is no built in delay when double tap is enabled so it always does the tap plus the double tap. You could set the double tap loads as a scene so instead of unaffected, turn those lights off. This will turn all the lights on (or off based on which way it toggles next) and then turn on the double tap scene. You will not be able to double tap to turn off just that one light but if you are set for room logic a single press would turn all lights off anyways.

The only way to really do two different scenarios is to use conditional. It still does the press and the double press so it needs to be done differently. You have to set a flag when the button is pressed, then a short delay, then a conditional that says if flag is still set "toggle lights". Then under the double tap the first thing you do is clear that flag, then do the rest of what you want to happen. How this works is, the press is delayed (say .5 seconds) and if you double press in that time it clears the flag and the single press programming never completes since after the delay you are checking if the flag is still set.

Not likely you will do this but it gives a way to do it if you needed to. Good luck.