Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: what does radiara 2 level 2 training get you and newbie questions

what does radiara 2 level 2 training get you and newbie questions

New to this.... completed level 1 training awhile back and took the test. Curious what level 2 training gets you? Is there software above and beyond the essentials? What other limitations are removed at the level 2 level?

Also an old installer had sent me a lutx file for a client I am taking over. The essentials software converted it and it seems ok but generally can you trust these conversions? What software creates the lutx files homeworks?

Also everything is working at this specific site aside from his remote access. It recently stopped working. I rebooted the repeaters to no avail. Where should I start my troubleshooting after that with these?

You already have the software, the Level 2 class gives you the official key to unlock it.

Main features- you get several devices and the wall box power module, and "shared" scenes that are keyed together (change one, then all change as well).

.lutx is the older version of the file the software created (.lut is even older). I wouldn't worry about the conversions. I've never had an issue converting the correct file. You might accidentally convert an older revision of the .lutx file which would result in errors, but without that revision history from the old programmer, you should be fine.

As far as the remote access, I would check the easy stuff first. Check to see if the ip address matches.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Level 2 lets you double the size of the system by adding a 2nd main repeater.

What is the client using for remote access? I would look at upgrading to LutronConnect with a system bridge. Home Control+ is good for inside the house, especially if you have a slow internet connection. Connect is better.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Level 2 lets you double the size of the system by adding a 2nd main repeater.

What is the client using for remote access? I would look at upgrading to LutronConnect with a system bridge. Home Control+ is good for inside the house, especially if you have a slow internet connection. Connect is better.

Well I know there is a main repeater and an aux repeater. Along with a garage door receiver for the visor units.

He said the app he is using is Home Control +.

He has no idea what the original installer set for a password to login and the original installer has no idea either. For now the password is saved in the app but we want to reset it somehow. Have no idea how to do that. Any ideas?

Also..... so switching to the lutron connect app requires a bridge? How is the connection handled now? Just thru the main repeater being on the network and this allows you to connect thru home control +?

And just as an FYI the provider is spectrum. 16 down, 6 up

Home Control + requires the main repeater and phone be on the same network. Lutron used to offer remote access for a fee. I'm not sure if that is still available.

The system bridge is a separate device on the network that allows internal and remote access (no recurring fee). It uses the Lutron Connect app.

With Inclusive, you may be able to extract the program and the login info will be there. If not, you will have to rewrite the program. I have used the app to determine what devices are in the system so that I could rewrite the program.
    www.convergenceusa.com

In the system file I have from the original installer I see the repeaters and all the switches in there. If there happened to be a bridge installed should I see that in there too? It was just recently that it stopped working. But somehow with the Home Control + app it was working remotely. I notice right in the app on the iPads in the walls that it has an enable remote access button. I clicked it while I was there just to see if it fixed it but apparently a no go.

The system bridge has to be in the software for it to work. Since it can be placed in any room, the quickest way to see if it has one is to run a BoM report.

It sounds like the previous owner had the subscription service, which eventually became free, but they cancelled it. The only way to get remote access now is with the bridge ($300 retail). Home Control + will still work if you are connected to the LAN. Depending on the Internet connection HC+ might be faster. However there will be no future upgrades or enhancements to HC+ and the Connect app has more features.

- - - Updated - - -

The system bridge has to be in the software for it to work. Since it can be placed in any room, the quickest way to see if it has one is to run a BoM report.

It sounds like the previous owner had the subscription service, which eventually became free, but they cancelled it. The only way to get remote access now is with the bridge ($300 retail). Home Control + will still work if you are connected to the LAN. Depending on the Internet connection HC+ might be faster. However there will be no future upgrades or enhancements to HC+ and the Connect app has more features.
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by gerard143 View Post
    New to this.... completed level 1 training awhile back and took the test. Curious what level 2 training gets you?
    The training exposes you to a full range of reasons how and why devices are programmed. It really does explain a lot more than just how to click buttons. It's definitely worth attending, even more so if it's at a location that's close enough to minimize expense. It also puts you in a room with several Lutron staffers that really know their stuff, along with fellow installers. The Q&A that goes on during the sessions is often as informative as the lessons themselves.

Let me also say this, I came away with a much better understanding of how complicated LED lighting is compared to old school incandescent. It's really eye opening how bad some LED can be. They're not "just bulbs" and dimming them is not a trivial process.

9. Thanks gt3mike thanked for this post
    He has no idea what the original installer set for a password to login and the original installer has no idea either. For now the password is saved in the app but we want to reset it somehow. Have no idea how to do that. Any ideas?
    - unless he deleted the defaults (very rare, would be really old- too old for extraction), you should be able to use user: lutron password: integration. All lower case.

Also..... so switching to the lutron connect app requires a bridge? How is the connection handled now? Just thru the main repeater being on the network and this allows you to connect thru home control +?

- Spectrum is a b!7@#. Have them remove the Spectrum wifi (their "techical support" was useless in trying to solve my issue or bridge the router) by just using Spectrum's cable modem and supply your own wifi (think eeRo, approved by Spectrum). Otherwise, the Connect bridge will not go through until you remove the Spectrum wifi. Again, Spectrum will be of ZERO help on this, and no one wants to reimburse you for your aggravation. You can email me from my signature if you wish to discuss offline.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    - unless he deleted the defaults (very rare, would be really old- too old for extraction), you should be able to use user: lutron password: integration. All lower case.

- Spectrum is a b!7@#. Have them remove the Spectrum wifi (their "techical support" was useless in trying to solve my issue or bridge the router) by just using Spectrum's cable modem and supply your own wifi (think eeRo, approved by Spectrum). Otherwise, the Connect bridge will not go through until you remove the Spectrum wifi. Again, Spectrum will be of ZERO help on this, and no one wants to reimburse you for your aggravation. You can email me from my signature if you wish to discuss offline.

I am ditching the provided router. Using better grade enterprise stuff. I know for integration the lutron defaults are intact... but for the remote login info on the app it is not the default lutron. The app uses an email/password combo for login.