Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: 3rd party control over timeclock changes to motion sensing?

3rd party control over timeclock changes to motion sensing?

I know the main repeater can have time ranges for responding to motion control. This is great for doing things like en/disabling motion sensing for specific time ranges. I'll often use it for a closet with bright lighting that's adjacent to a bedroom. Better to turn off motion sensing after typical bed times rather than waking someone up.

What I'm curious about is whether it's possible to trigger the enabling/disabling of an occupancy sensor from an external command. As in, use a separate system to activate motion sensing instead of waiting until the pre-set time. The example is a home office where there's occupancy sensors positioned such that they pretty accurately detect someone using the space. No point in having the lights come on when it's broad daylight, as the room has good daytime lighting. This can also be managed with the on-sensor light detector... but not really. That's good when you don't want the sensor triggering anything when there's enough daylight. But if you set up timeclock events related to sunrise/sunset offsets you can't activate the lighting control when it's overcast. It won't fire because the timeclock event deactivated it.

So I'm wondering, short of setting up a whole other timeclock mode (like Home or Away) is it possible for a 3rd party interface to tell the repeater to perform a timeclock event at a different time?

This would be entirely not needed if the Ra2 system supported the Lutron daylight sensors.

Now, it could certainly be solved by just letting the sensors operate 'all the time' and simply have their scenes fire events in an external automation system. This could work, but loses the standalone reliability, and some programming features, of using it completely within a Ra2 repeater. I suppose it'd be possible to set up the same lighting scene on a phantom button and just trigger that externally, but again, it adds complexity and potential to slow down motion-to-lighting response times.

Possible? Know to be not possible because someone has already asked it? Or maybe?

The LRF2 sensors have 2 features not related to RR2 that may do what you are looking for.

You can set the sensor to "low light" so the lights will only turn on if there is low ambient light.

You can set the sensor to only turn the lights off (manual on).

- - - Updated - - -

The LRF2 sensors have 2 features not related to RR2 that may do what you are looking for.

You can set the sensor to "low light" so the lights will only turn on if there is low ambient light.

You can set the sensor to only turn the lights off (manual on).
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

@wkearney99-
    Yes, you can initiate this through third party. There are telnet /RS232 commands in the integration protocol which essentially "push" the timeclock button. You can set the original events from 11:59PM to 12:01AM and then just be careful that you are getting the right time frames set up. Forgive me, but it's been a while since I've done this, used to test TC events via TelNet prior to "live edits" becoming available. A colleague of mine used this trick when setting a Shabbat program, and then having to extend to two or three days via a calendar event (via HAI). Saved having to recreate 81 TC events this way, or creating multiple modes and having the third party swap between them based on the calendar.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    @wkearney99-
    Yes, you can initiate this through third party. There are telnet /RS232 commands in the integration protocol which essentially "push" the timeclock button. You can set the original events from 11:59PM to 12:01AM and then just be careful that you are getting the right time frames set up. Forgive me, but it's been a while since I've done this, used to test TC events via TelNet prior to "live edits" becoming available. A colleague of mine used this trick when setting a Shabbat program, and then having to extend to two or three days via a calendar event (via HAI). Saved having to recreate 81 TC events this way, or creating multiple modes and having the third party swap between them based on the calendar.
    Yes, I could see where this would be useful for something like that.

That and it'd be convenient to allow the timeclock to resume it's regular handling without having to remember to re-set them.

This has also been on my mind regarding how to handle parties and such. Being able to override timeclock events without changing the mode is useful. If only to avoid having to duplicate everything in a separate mode just to change a limited set of features (as you point out).

I'll have to experiment with it a bit.

@wkearney99- one thing to note, the time clock events are numerical (like buttons on a keypad) and have a max count of 256. It does not have a report for this, unfortunately (we asked LOOOONNNNGG ago) so the way to determine the "value" is to go to the timeclock programming tab and start counting as you move down. Very analog, but it works.

I realized in my example above, we were actually pressing a time clock mode button, but the principle remains the same. A time clock event for all intents is a scene that can be pushed via it's "button" like any other scene. Just requires a third party push.

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    @wkearney99- one thing to note, the time clock events are numerical (like buttons on a keypad) and have a max count of 256. It does not have a report for this, unfortunately (we asked LOOOONNNNGG ago) so the way to determine the "value" is to go to the timeclock programming tab and start counting as you move down. Very analog, but it works.

I realized in my example above, we were actually pressing a time clock mode button, but the principle remains the same. A time clock event for all intents is a scene that can be pushed via it's "button" like any other scene. Just requires a third party push.
    If you look at the http://ip.of.main.repeater/DbXmlInfo.xml file you'll see the timeclock events all have a lot of info, including the names you enter in the Ra2 software.

Code:
                    <TimeClockEvent Name="Master Closet Off Overnight" UUID="40450" Type="Fixed" Time="00:00" EventNumber="25" ScheduleType="Weekly" Days="Sunday,Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday" Mode="Normal">
                        <Actions>
                            <Action Name="Press" ActionType="3">
                                <Presets>
                                    <Preset Name="Press" UUID="40453">
                                        <PresetAssignments>
                                            <PresetAssignment UUID="40461" AssignmentName="OCCUPANCY_ACTIVE_STATE" AssignmentType="17">
                                                <IntegrationID>0</IntegrationID>
                                            </PresetAssignment>
                                        </PresetAssignments>
                                    </Preset>
                                </Presets>
                            </Action>
                        </Actions>
                    </TimeClockEvent>
                    <TimeClockEvent Name="Master Closet Overnight On" UUID="40462" Type="Fixed" Time="07:25" EventNumber="26" ScheduleType="Weekly" Days="Sunday,Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday" Mode="Normal">
                        <Actions>
                            <Action Name="Press" ActionType="3">
                                <Presets>
                                    <Preset Name="Press" UUID="40465">
                                        <PresetAssignments>
                                            <PresetAssignment UUID="40473" AssignmentName="OCCUPANCY_ACTIVE_STATE" AssignmentType="17">
                                                <IntegrationID>0</IntegrationID>
                                            </PresetAssignment>
                                        </PresetAssignments>
                                    </Preset>
                                </Presets>
                            </Action>
                        </Actions>
                    </TimeClockEvent>
    What I'm unclear on is how these cross-reference to other areas, occupancy groups, outputs, etc. The path between these and the groups is sometimes pretty difficult to follow in the XML.

I've never used the XML as I have no 3rd party in my house. I did find the command line for the timeclock control I mentioned above.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RR2timeclock.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	744

It can be found on the bottom of page 33 of the protocol guide : http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/040249.pdf

I downloaded the .csv file from the Integration reports in the software, and was able to obtain the device number of the time clock and the event numbers for the actual events. This should make it possible for you to flip between the sensor modes by using the timeclocks as I mentioned above.

9. Likes wkearney99 liked this post