Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ambient light sensor

Question Ambient light sensor

I have a Lutron Maestro Sensor switch MS-OPS2 connected to a night light. I've been trying for weeks to train it to only turn on the night light if the room is very dark, basically pitch black, but the switch still goes on unless there is bright sunshine coming in through the window. Even if all the LED lights in the bathroom are turned on, it will switch on the night light.

My questions:
    • Does the ambient light sensor only detect daylight wavelengths? Then maybe it wouldn't detect the LED lights nor the daylight coming through the shower curtain.
    • How consistent does training have to be in order to train the lights? My whole family uses that bathroom; if I hit the switch telling it that it shouldn't have turned on the night light, and then my daughter walks in 15 minutes later and doesn't hit the switch, has she undone my training?
    • Is there a lower lumen limit to the ambient light sensor? I really only want the nightlight to come on in pitch darkness.

Thanks! I appreciate your help.

I doubt it is smart enough to distinguish between natural and artificial light. I would make sure the daylight sensing is activated. The procedure is in the installation instructions or at the link below. It does say you have to turn the lights off within 5 seconds for it to adjust the daylight sensor. So yes, if someone walks in and does not turn the light off within 5 seconds, it will start raising the the threshold.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/048461.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt it is smart enough to distinguish between natural and artificial light. I would make sure the daylight sensing is activated. The procedure is in the installation instructions or at the link below. It does say you have to turn the lights off within 5 seconds for it to adjust the daylight sensor. So yes, if someone walks in and does not turn the light off within 5 seconds, it will start raising the the threshold.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/048461.pdf
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks, Randyc. I guess I wasn't seeing the distinction between artificial and natural light as a feature so much as a limitation. I know the ambient sensor works because the light won't come on if it is the middle of the day and the shower curtain is pulled back, but it will come on if it is later in the day, even when all the other lights in the bathroom are already on, which feels brighter than the first scenario since the window is small and the room doesn't get direct sunlight. A little maddening.

Hello likescookies,

Thank you for your post!

It sounds like you might be having a sensor issue. We would like you to factory default the sensor by holding the on/off tapswitch and the long u tab in the bottom right hand corner of the plastic (underneath the wallplate) until the sensor flashes 3 times (the 3rd flash will be delayed). Then hold the long u tab only until the sensor lens flashes 3 times again (no delay between 2nd and 3rd flash). This will reset the sensor to re-learn the light level. From there you must turn the sensor within 5 seconds every time it comes on at a unwanted light level. This will over a period of days train it to the proper light level.

If you still have the same issue, please email in to support@lutron.com

Hope this helps!

Julia K.

Great, thanks, Julia. I reset it and will try and train it.

I think an issue we are going to have is that the sensor's position allows it to detect people passing by in the hallway (who aren't going to hit the button to turn it off) plus not everyone in the family is going to remember to hit the button. Thus, it won't be consistently trained, which may confuse it. But we'll see.

Alas, no difference. I don't suppose Lutron makes a model with an ambient light sensor that doesn't require training?

Hello likescookies,

We apologize that the steps above did not resolve the issue.

The only sensors we have that are factory set for an ambient light level are our wireless Radio Powr Savr Sensors. The nice thing about these sensors is it allows you to mount them wherever, or even mask off certain parts of the sensor, this way they do not trip as often.

For you application there are two sensors I would recommend:

LRF2-OCR2B-P-WH, this is a ceiling mounted sensor with a 10 year battery life
    Or LRF2-OWLB-P-WH, this is a wall mounted sensor with a 10 year battery life as well

These are wireless, so you need a hard wired switch.

You can use:

MRF2S-6ANS, this is rated for 6A at 120V (more then the sensor you have now) and requires a neutral in the wallbox.
    Or the MRF2S-8S-DV, this is rated for 8A at both 120V and 277V, no neutral or ground required.

Hope this helps!

Julia K.

Hii... My phone screen was cracked so, I replaced the glass. Prior to replacing the glass i had no issue with the ambient auto light sensor dimming the screen based upon how dark or bright the room is. Now the ambient light sensor does not work at all and is frustrating. I replaced the camera/light/prox flex with two known good and still no go. If you turn off and then back on the ambient light sensor it auto adjusts to just under medium brightness. any ideas?