Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Home Automation

Home Automation

A lot of threads that touch on this topic that go back several years but I'm hoping someone can weigh in with the current state of things. Which home automation hubs play best with RRA2?

I didn't find much about people using smartthings, for instance. VeraEdge seems to have some 3rd party plugin that might work? Wink?

Ultimately I'm just looking for some fairly simple stuff - having a z-wave door sensor trigger lighting events for example.

-ron

Nobody? Is this because RadioRA2 just doesn't play nicely with anything else?

I'm using Indigo, but I'm just getting started tying it into RR2. So far I use it to add a Sonos stop-all as well as some conditional lighting logic to an exit scene. I also use it to assist with a slightly unreliable integration between RR2 and a Somfy Roman Shade. (It repeats the Somfy commands.) More to come. So far, I'm happy with Indigo.

I also have Indigo tied into Nest, my home alarm, MyQ garage doors, and two Z-wave relays (to control a steam humidifier).

ah, good to know. Yeah I've got an older mac laptop that could be brought into service for this so that may be the way to go. Can indigo control everything that the Lutron Connect app can do? Also why'd you choose indigo vs. just a dedicated hub like smartthings?

Indigo seemed way more powerful.

6. Thanks rroonnbb thanked for this post
    Likes rroonnbb liked this post
    Check out HomeSeer. I am using it now. Just getting started with the integration, but it is very promising. Some of the users have very complex automations using HS3 and Radio RA2. I especially like the fact that HS3 is not cloud dependent.

8. Thanks donmor thanked for this post
    Likes donmor liked this post
    I've been using Vera Z-wave controllers with the Lutron RA2 plug in for over a year... no problems. Z-Wave is not as reliable as Lutron Clear Connect. I'm an Alarm.com dealer... and that platform integrates well with RA2, too. There is a small "work around" with the RA2 main repeater/connect to utilize the "Alarm.com" app and "Lutron Connect" app. But that is for another thread... PM me if you need details.

10. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post
    Hi 1puttpro, it isn't letting me send a PM. I've been trying to get alarm.com to work with RadioRa2. My local dealer isn't familiar and when they talk to alarm.com it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere. What is this workaround you mention?On the subject of this thread, I'm using OpenHAB for my "hub". It isn't the most user-friendly, but can do most anything, and works without any server on the internet (a requirement for me) and it's open source (free).

Hubitat also works and is worth a serious look because it is not cloud based and there are no fees.