Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Lights flash when I turn on at other switches

Lights flash when I turn on at other switches

I have a Lutron dimmer installed on a three way (can turn lights on from three separate switches) only one dimmer installed. When I use the main/dimmer switch, it functions just fine. If the lights happen to be off and I turn on from one of the other two switches, there's a flash before they come on and then they come on. This is annoying and should not be happening. What is going on here and how do I fix it? I've messed around with this a lot and never thought installing a dimmer could be such a pain. I have the Lutron dimmer that works for led, halogen, etc. Would it be helpful to install another dimmer or is there some other fix for this? Thank you for your help.

What is the model number of the dimmer you have?

The dimmer must be at either end of the circuit. It can not be in the middle. If you have an electronic dimmer (like Maestro) you will need to change the other 2 locations to Maestro companion dimmers. If you have a dimmer with a neutral connection, it must be at the end where the wire goes up to the light.

I would also check the trim setting.

Dimming Range Adjustment
    Goal: To set the dimmer to reach the lowest stable light level that can be achieved with your light bulb(s).
    1. Turn on dimmer switch 1 (shown below). Move down slider 2 to lowest light level.
    2. Turn down (counter-clockwise) adjustment dial 3 to lowest possible dimming level where light output for
    all bulbs is stable and does not flicker or flash.
    Note: If dial stops, do not continue to turn.
    3. Turn off dimmer switch 1 , then back on. Verify that all bulbs turn on.
    4. If all bulbs do not turn on, turn up (clockwise) adjustment dial 3 slightly and repeat step 3.
    5. Once all bulbs turn on reliably, install wallplate.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

follow up

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post

The dimmer must be at either end of the circuit. It can not be in the middle. If you have an electronic dimmer (like Maestro) you will need to change the other 2 locations to Maestro companion dimmers. If you have a dimmer with a neutral connection, it must be at the end where the wire goes up to the light.

Dimming Range Adjustment
    Goal: To set the dimmer to reach the lowest stable light level that can be achieved with your light bulb(s).
    1. Turn on dimmer switch 1 (shown below). Move down slider 2 to lowest light level.
    2. Turn down (counter-clockwise) adjustment dial 3 to lowest possible dimming level where light output for
    4. If all bulbs do not turn on, turn up (clockwise) adjustment dial 3 slightly and repeat step 3.

FOLLOW UP... so, let me make sure I understand. I have three switches that turn on the same lights. I have a dimmer installed now on one of them....I need to install two more dimmers on the remaining two switches? I'm not understanding what the end of the circuit means, and how I'd know that. Would just installing two more dimmers solve this issue?

When I turn on one of the switches that don't have a dimmer on it, there's a flash from the lights, a brief pause and then the lights come on.

All bulbs are coming on and I've messed with the levels as well as the type of bulbs.

Many thanks for your input. I'm not an electrician, I do have a doctorate so I'm not stupid but this is confounding me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post

Dimming Range Adjustment

FOLLOW UP... so, let me make sure I understand. I have three switches that turn on the same lights. I have a dimmer installed now on one of them....I need to install two more dimmers on the remaining two switches? I'm not understanding what the end of the circuit means, and how I'd know that. Would just installing two more dimmers solve this issue?

When I turn on one of the switches that don't have a dimmer on it, there's a flash from the lights, a brief pause and then the lights come on.

All bulbs are coming on and I've messed with the levels as well as the type of bulbs.

Many thanks for your input. I'm not an electrician, I do have a doctorate so I'm not stupid but this is confounding me.

If you have a mechanical dimmer, you only need 1.

In your application power comes in on one end through a 3-way switch (basically an A/B switch), then goes to a 4-way switch (a dual A/B switch), then goes to another 3-way switch and up to the light.

To identify the 4-way switch... it has 2 black screws and 2 brass screws. 3-way switches have 1 black screw and 2 brass screws. You can see the difference at a HomeDepot without having to turn off power, remove the switches, etc.

I have no idea where the naming conventions came from.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Hello cherylb,

Thank you for your post!

In order to better understand your set-up what is the model number of your dimmer? By knowing this information we can determine if you have an analog or digital dimmer. A digital dimmer cannot be used in a 4-way with mechanical switches and could explain the flash on when using the other two switches.

We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Julia K.