Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Low Voltage Wiring Question - Serena

Low Voltage Wiring Question - Serena

Installing two wired Serena systems for customer, but they have an existing din-rail style low voltage transformer for existing shades in the attic, similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/DIN-Rail-Powe.../dp/B00MEKLTKY.

If I'm going to direct-wire with the 16 gauge low voltage wire, is there any reason I couldn't use this existing setup or do you think I absolutely need to get the Lutron solution (CSPS-P1-10-6) for proper operation? (Feels like smashing an ant with a Atlas rocket.) Thanks in advance!

Since you only have 2 shades, I would go with (2) CSPS-P1-1-6-WH plug-in power supplies. For $24 retail it seems like a good investment versus an unknown power supply.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Since you only have 2 shades, I would go with (2) CSPS-P1-1-6-WH plug-in power supplies. For $24 retail it seems like a good investment versus an unknown power supply.
    Problem with that is the window casings are kind of thin and they'd prefer the shades sit further back than right up on the edge of the windowsill...low voltage direct feels like it's my best option. Do you know of any other lv solution that's more "known" than the 10-shade supply?

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...Spec_Guide.pdf

The shade comes with a 15' cord (see page 4), the PS has a 6' cord. I believe you can get an extension cord as well.

I have an older QED shade with a non-lutron power supply. I have not experienced any issues. You could try the existing power supply as long as it has the same specs.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/Serena_Spec_Guide.pdf

The shade comes with a 15' cord (see page 4), the PS has a 6' cord. I believe you can get an extension cord as well.

I have an older QED shade with a non-lutron power supply. I have not experienced any issues. You could try the existing power supply as long as it has the same specs.
    The cord length isn't the issue for me, it's more I can't fit an outlet behind the shade and still have the shade be fully inside the window casing. I don't think you're saying to run that cord inside the wall - it's not rated for in-wall use, and the windows are rather high in a two-story family room, so I don't really have an alternative to just direct wiring them I think.

Can you (or anyone) reccomend any that you've used previously that are non-Lutron? The input/output specs on the shades and the power supply seem to differ somewhat, but I'd be open to anything others have used beyond the Lutron 10-shade box.

Thank so much everyone!