Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New home electrical

New home electrical

Hi. I’m new to the forum and Lutron If you plan to utilize Lutron throughout a home or building that is a new build, would you design/run the electrical system differently than you normally would? Would there be anywhere that there would be a cost saving in the initial installation.?

Yes. You can eliminate some 3-way/4-way wiring but I would not expect to see a decrease in the electricians bill.

If you are using Remote Power Panels, the electrician will have to run wires from the individual rooms back to the panels and run additional power feeds for the panels. This will add significant cost to the electrician bill.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

If you are specifying completely with Lutron Caseta (or RA2) and Pico's you may reduce the cost (less copper to run and associated labor and termination activity.)

However, there are some issues that you local AHJ (building inspector) may have issue, especially around getting switches in all the right places and accepting the Pico's as switches.

My recommendation would be to still run all the copper and terminate properly for use with Pico's that way you have the wires there if needed and no issue with the AHJ.

Quote Originally Posted by MattS View Post
    If you are specifying completely with Lutron Caseta (or RA2) and Pico's you may reduce the cost (less copper to run and associated labor and termination activity.)

However, there are some issues that you local AHJ (building inspector) may have issue, especially around getting switches in all the right places and accepting the Pico's as switches.

My recommendation would be to still run all the copper and terminate properly for use with Pico's that way you have the wires there if needed and no issue with the AHJ.
    I agree, you may be able to eliminate a 3-way or two here or there but wire the house as you normally would. Use Decora style switches so that the switches use the same wall plates as Caseta.