Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: What is the point of the L31P Pico 4 button remote?

What is the point of the L31P Pico 4 button remote?

It is advertised as a scene controller but doesn’t control scenes. Once paired to the system, all it allows you to do is pick a room to control in the app and gives you 3 dimmer levels. One would naturally assume that each button would let you assign it to a scene. At the very least, you should be able to just assign specific dimmers to the remote. This is basically a waste of $50 until they let you actually assign something useful to it. What am I missing?

In the Caseta mindset- this is the major keypad you should be using. Years of installs and programming, now coupled with the info from Caseta bridges and the connect bridges have shown the basic Hi-Med-Low-Off keypad is still the leading contender. The L31P Pico gives you that when there are quite a few loads. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense in a living room with only one or two loads, but take that across to the open concepts that are now popular. A single button push to jump from Dining to Movie, to a Bright scene in these spaces makes sense. I regularly spec'd three of these for a "whole house" Caseta install. Front door, back door/garage exit, and master bedroom. Makes sense in these locations, and anywhere where many lighting loads "intersect" and need a master control point.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

3. Likes randyc liked this post
    does the Pico L31P show up as accessory in Homekit, i.e. can it be used to control scenes also in homekit (if Caseta is linked to homekit)?

Yes, it would be nice if they let you actually assign it to scenes, but it can still be useful, especially if you live alone like I do. I have one by my front door and have the 4 buttons as follows:

Living Room
    Kitchen
    Bedroom
    All Off

These are like arrival scenes that turn on the lights in the designated room and light the way there. When I walk out the door, I always hit the All Off to make sure everything is off. Of course the problem is because these are set levels and not scenes, if someone were to be in the bedroom and I hit the Living Room button, it would turn off the bedroom lights. Not good.

A rep on the phone at Lutron Support said we can use the PJ2-4B-GWH-P01 (or P02 or P03, depending on the engraving) for true scene control in Caséta and that he has done that in his own home. But I haven't verified this. Officially this remote is not supported in Caséta. Does it work? I'd really like to know.

And no, remotes don't show up as accessories in HomeKit. Only wired switches do.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8732.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	746

The 31P is a great remote. I have mine setup to control different scenes in my first level open floor plan. First button lots of lights on and very bright, Second button not as many lights on and a dimmer level and third button just a couple lights on very dim for when watching TV/Movies. This is great. I use SmartThings so I can have SmartThings control some switches and Hue Bulbs also based on what "Caseta" lights are turned on in the open area. So this one remote sets the scene for Living Roon, Family Room, Dining Room and Kitchen based on use and all at the push of a button.

7. Likes TokyoJim liked this post
    As I posted in another thread, I think the PJ2-4B-GWH-PO1 (or P02 or p03) will do what you want but you're stuck with their engravings.

There was at one point a custom engraved four button. Engraving had to be selected prior to ordering and included with the order. For lights I believe the part number was PJ2-4B-G(xx)-EL1 and had a $99 list price. I would inquire with your local distributor.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    It is advertised as a scene controller but doesn’t control scenes. Once paired to the system, all it allows you to do is pick a room to control in the app and gives you 3 dimmer levels. One would naturally assume that each button would let you assign it to a scene. At the very least, you should be able to just assign specific dimmers to the remote. This is basically a waste of $50 until they let you actually assign something useful to it. What am I missing?
    It can do what you want, though it does have some limitations. In the Lutron App you can assign it to a room, but then select "Lights & Shades" and you can assign individual lights across several rooms. The lights you assign are valid for all buttons though - this is the main limitation. From the remote you can directly assign scenes - the default 3 levels for all are just a starting point. set the lamps you have assigned to the scene controller as you want and hold down any one of the top 3 buttons until the LED flashes quickly and you will have programmed that scene to that button. The other limitation of these scene controllers is that Off is always just Off for all lights controlled. The P01, P02 & P03 are quite different, you can program each button to control a different set of lights and the off button is just a default setting - its actually a scene you can program just like the other 3 buttons. To confirm these do work with Caseta

Alan