Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else having to replace Lutron switches with broken bezels that won't stay on?

Hi lutron bezel broken

The bezel is flimsy and no replacementment kit. Why not. It should be free. No one would buy a Lutron if they new this.
    Does home Depot have a place to leave customer reviews?

Topspinwilly- Call Lutron customer support and they should be able to help you. I think I once heard that they can’t distribute only the bezels because of UL certification reasons.

@n1oconner, super helpful post. I opened up my switch, and it looked *exactly* like your pictures. spring rocker was just slightly out of alignment. I found an expired museum membership card, cut a little shim and wedged it in. The card is a touch thicker than it needs to be the switch is just the tiniest bit stiffer than it used to be. But I can turn it on and off now. Thanks again for taking the time to post and upload pictures especially.

Same Situation - Any Advice?

This has been a great thread to read as I have the same frustrating situation with two Lutron DV-600P switches. They are almost ten years old and get normal use at best, so I’m surprised they failed and to read how common this is.

Am I understanding the thread correctly that you can’t simply replace the plastic paddle rockers and have to replace the entire switch? That seems crazy when a new paddle probably costs a dollar and would snap into place in seconds and you could use your lights again. Welcome any advice and included a pic of the paddle/rocker with arrows pointing to the broken 'clips' that snap the paddle to the switch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2994.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	893.

I just found this thread so I wanted to add my input. In the early 2000's, we had A LOT and I mean A LOT of broken Diva switches. As it turned out, the little spring in the Diva plate (that's what we called it) had a little plastic container which would break off. When we told our lighting supplier, they said that apparently Lutron knew about it and updated the Diva plates to be beefier and so all the new dimmers after that didn't have the issue, or at least not as much.

They also gave the suppliers a whole pack of replacement plates which weren't for resale but I guess to fix a broken dimmer or change the color for one in case they didn't have one in stock.

I think it would be great if Lutron actually sold those replacement plates and charged like $10 for them because we still get broken dimmers and it's wasteful to throw away a whole working dimmer with a bad plate with a new dimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by jcross041971 View Post
    I bought my house about 10 years ago. We have a lot Lutron dimmer switches throughout. Anyways, over the past year or two we have had to replace 4 Lutron light switches because the small bezels that keep the switch in place keep breaking. When this happens, when the switch is depressed in the "on" position, the switch pops out slightly and won't stay depressed. One has to use a piece of tape or apply constant pressure with a finger to keep the switch in the on position. Upon inspection this is happening because a small piece of plastic that makes up part of the bezel that keeps the switch in place has broken away.

Given that we are not doing anything to the switches that would create wear beyond anything normal I would hazzard to suggest that these bezels are under engineered. Given the price point of Lutron switches this type of bezel failure seems to happen much too frequently. Has anyone else experienced these issues with Lutron switches? Has the company changed designs recently to improve durability? Thanks.
    Yes. Ours keep breaking. Can't tuning them on. Can't turn them off. It is ridiculous !

Broken Switch Won’t Stay On

Hello,
    Was there a solution anyone had to replace the broken switches due to the broken bezels? I have at least 7 to replace.

I had the same problem, tore my 4-way switch apart, and got nowhere. Went to this website and learned from your inquiry that the problem was with a broken bezel that was removable. So, I removed the bezel and immediately saw a possible fix.
    While holding the paddle firmly in its proper place, drill a hole (using the thinnest drill bit -- a #60 or .040) through the side of the bezel and into the pivot point (middle) of the paddle. You only need to go 1/4" or less into the paddle, and you don't have to worry about drilling to perfection (I even went crooked enough to see the tip of the drill trying to exit the outer surface of the paddle!). Next, take an ordinary small paper clip, open it up, insert the end into the bezel and side of the paddle. Be careful to get the two holes lined up perfectly, because the paper clip fits snugly. Also, make sure the clip bottoms out in the hole in the paddle. Lastly, pull the paper clip very slightly back outwards and use a cutting pliers to snip the clip at the bezel surface. Then just push the piece of paper clip back into the hole to recess it (I used the leftover paper clip as the pusher).
    PS: I first tried to remove the bezel/paddle assembly from an old spare 3-way switch fix my broken 4-way, but it also broke in the process! So, I fixed that switch as well.
    Hope this helps. If you have any questions, you can email me at wheeoo@cox.net.

I, too, have this problem; two broken bevels on rocker dimmer switches. Pathetic they want $35-40 to replace the entire switch rather than replacing the cheap plastic they make them with; I have over two dozen Lutron rockers in my house, I guess I'll just replace them with a more reputable brand with some integrity.

this sounds confusing; do you have any photos of the process?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast