Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can’t pair Dimmer to app with 3 way installation

Can’t pair Dimmer to app with 3 way installation

So I followed the instructions and replaced one switch with a pico remote and the other with a Dimmer, everything works great except I can’t pair the Dimmer to the app, when I put the app in pairing mode I can see the Dimmer respond by blinking slowly, I then hold down the off button and it just won’t pair.

I removed the remote just in case I had to do that first but it still doesn’t work...also it’s not the swift because I tried more than one with the same results. It’s also not a wiring issue because it all works fine...any ideas on how to pair?

There's a possibility that the dimmer needs to be defaulted to start from fresh. follow these instructions, then try to pair and add as necessary.

I should make a youtube video for this. I can almost guarantee you aren't pushing the three taps fast enough, or you are holding when the third tap is pushed.

1. tap as fast as you can, you aren't counting Mississippi on this. go VERY fast For Caseta, use the OFF button for these steps.
    2. tap 4-5 times (I know Lutron says three, this eliminates "tap three then hold or hold on three") extra taps won't/don't matter
    3. as soon as you complete the 4-5 taps, immediately press and hold until the LED readout starts to ramp up and down, the lights on the dimmer will also respond
    4. once the ramping starts, release the button and IMMEDIATELY repeat the 4-5 taps as quick as before
    5. when finished with the second set of taps- LET GO completely. should see the same ramping but at a slower rate
    6. at end of slow ramping, the dimmer looks to "fuzz out"- just the chip resetting itself, it will come online in 20-30 seconds

I've defaulted every single device in RadioRA2 many times. This sequence works every time. In case it doesn't, the dimmer or switch is defective.

Again, you probably are not tapping anywhere near as fast as you need to, literally go as fast as you can for 4-5 taps.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    There's a possibility that the dimmer needs to be defaulted to start from fresh. follow these instructions, then try to pair and add as necessary.

I should make a youtube video for this. I can almost guarantee you aren't pushing the three taps fast enough, or you are holding when the third tap is pushed.

1. tap as fast as you can, you aren't counting Mississippi on this. go VERY fast For Caseta, use the OFF button for these steps.
    2. tap 4-5 times (I know Lutron says three, this eliminates "tap three then hold or hold on three") extra taps won't/don't matter
    3. as soon as you complete the 4-5 taps, immediately press and hold until the LED readout starts to ramp up and down, the lights on the dimmer will also respond
    4. once the ramping starts, release the button and IMMEDIATELY repeat the 4-5 taps as quick as before
    5. when finished with the second set of taps- LET GO completely. should see the same ramping but at a slower rate
    6. at end of slow ramping, the dimmer looks to "fuzz out"- just the chip resetting itself, it will come online in 20-30 seconds

I've defaulted every single device in RadioRA2 many times. This sequence works every time. In case it doesn't, the dimmer or switch is defective.

Again, you probably are not tapping anywhere near as fast as you need to, literally go as fast as you can for 4-5 taps.
    Thanks Mike but I did the resets several times and still no go, I’ve programmed 20 dimmers with no problem and have done the reset on several of them (so I know how) but I think that this is related to either the 3 way set up or because it is in the far corner of the garage so perhaps the signal isn’t strong enough to program properly. The strange thing is that when I put the app in pairing mode I can see the dimmer respond by slowly blinking it’s just that after I hold down the dimmers button it flashes quickly (as per usual) it’s just that the app doesn’t pick it up.

ive also paired a Pico remote to it without issue...one of the times it looked as though it was going to work but I got an error message asking if it could pair it without the remote...then it just hung forever and I couldn’t even get back to there, so I would reset and start over...very frustrating.

Try moving the dimmer closer and see if it pairs. You can try moving the bridge, sometimes moving it a foot helps. You can use (1) plug-in dimmer as an extender.

- - - Updated - - -

Try moving the dimmer closer and see if it pairs. You can try moving the bridge, sometimes moving it a foot helps. You can use (1) plug-in dimmer as an extender.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

5. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks randy, moving the Dimmer Isn’t really an option but I did move the bridge closer and it worked emmediatly so at least now I know that if I buy an extender it will be worth it.

thanks again for all the help, much appreciated.
    M

Moving the dimmer was just a test to see if it was a range issue or the dimmer was <gasp!> faulty.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com