Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Aux Repeater Wiring Recommendations

Question Aux Repeater Wiring Recommendations

When you want to be sure there's a good signal, I assume people use a wired connection, but I want to be sure what the wiring is.

Let's break this down:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 12.27.10 PM.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	726
    So many questions:
    • Is this saying that it requires two pairs, and one pair is supposed to be 18 AWG of some type while the other must be twisted and shielded and could go up to 22 AWG?
    • If so, which of the pairs should be twisted and shielded while the others don't need that? Is it a problem for them to be twisted?
    • For one of the pairs, can you use essentially thermostat wire?
    • Is there a 4 conductor cable one would buy and use? It looks like perhaps CAT 6A cable might be in the AWG range.

Sorry for all the questions. What would someone buy?

look on Liberty Wire and cable's site- probably most affordable- Lutron-GRN. Yellow would work too. If you have CresNet wire from Crestron- it's the same thing.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Thanks, Mike. That's pretty expensive cable for the aux connection that also requires 9V power separately. I wonder if I could instead just run CAT 6 for a 50' run. I could double up on pairs if needed. Is there any reason that shouldn't work? I figured 18/2 low voltage wire ought to handle the non-data side of things.

How about using 2 conductor low voltage 18 AWG and this cable?

That should work, but Lutron only "warranties" the approved cables. That would be on the "not tested" list ;). How far are you going? max range is 1000' total.

Just 60 feet or so. it's probably 50' if you could go directly from A-B through a bunch of walls and duct. I figure, why not ensure it's reliable and avoid a return trip if possible.

Lutron has great stuff, but they aren't always worth the premium. ...most of the time they are!

I'd say go for the 18/2, maybe run a CAT5/6 and double up for the 22g replacements. As long as tou can undo or replace easily. Heck, bench test it. It's only 60'. The two repeaters can reach each other with Clear Connect at that distance, so why the wiring?

I've also heard (haven't tested) that the 18/2 can actually power the aux. And that you could just the comm wires (MUX & MUX--) and run the plug in power. I personally haven't done this, so I would test it.

With the new wireless aux for RA2 Select working with full RadioRA2 and being $100 less, it might be cheaper to run two of those instead of the labor for the wire install.

I have used the aux repeaters with just the com/mux/mux connected and powered by the plug-in transformer.

Wired repeaters do limit flexibility. If they come in and install some giant metal RF killing water heater, HVAC unit, or duct work covered in anti-alien aluminum foil, you may not be able to position the repeater properly.

Lutron's new RF signal is head-and-shoulders above previous versions. I can't imagine a problem with that short of a distance.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com