Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Fitting Maestro Occupancy Sensor and general purpose switch into same double box

Fitting Maestro Occupancy Sensor and general purpose switch into same double box

I'm replacing my old toggle switches in my master closet with a paddle-style sensor (Maestro MS-OPS2H) and paddle style switch (Claro Family CA-1PS). I'm using the same in-wall box in which the old toggles were installed and when I screw in the two new switches they don't align - can't put the faceplate over them. They are about 1/8" off vertically. There isn't any wiggle room to leverage one up and one down to get them close enough to get the faceplate on. I can't believe Lutron would have different specs for similar products, but maybe so? Can you only install switches from same product lines (ie all Maestro maybe?) or can you mix them up?

Originally I installed a Leviton regular switch with the sensor as that was what Home Depot carried, and thought it was just a problem with the two different brands. But, having the same issue with two Lutron products! Maybe it's also the "family" within Lutron?

Help!

There are industry standards so there "should" be no issue with using different manufacturers. There is some vertical adjustment but not 1/8 inch. Toggle style devices are a little more forgiving than larger opening designer devices. Vertical alignment is determined by the wallbox. Boxes are typically nailed to wood studs, which, if not perfectly plumb could create issues. Sheetrock can also press on the box.

You can try lightly tapping the device mounting yokes (one up, one down) to see if you can get them to align.
    You can try to trim the sheetrock to keep it from pressing on the box.
    You can try Lutron Claro plates. Leave the devices ~1/4" out of the box, attach the back plate then tighten.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Had hoped for industry standards!

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    There are industry standards so there "should" be no issue with using different manufacturers. There is some vertical adjustment but not 1/8 inch. Toggle style devices are a little more forgiving than larger opening designer devices. Vertical alignment is determined by the wallbox. Boxes are typically nailed to wood studs, which, if not perfectly plumb could create issues. Sheetrock can also press on the box.

You can try lightly tapping the device mounting yokes (one up, one down) to see if you can get them to align.
    You can try to trim the sheetrock to keep it from pressing on the box.
    You can try Lutron Claro plates. Leave the devices ~1/4" out of the box, attach the back plate then tighten.
    Thanks Randy. I can see where the toggles in this same 2-gang box would have had a more forgiving environment. I've tried prying (not so able to "tap") up and down on the respective switches and can get a little movement, but what brings them back to the same location in the box each time is the location of the screw hole/receptacle in each switch mounting tab (yoke). Screwing them in moves each switch to a slightly different vertical location in the box and there isn't a way to alter the location of the screw hole in the switch. Sigh.

I'm waiting to hear back from Lutron as well. Maybe one of these is defective and "should" align. Since I've already purchased multiple general purpose switches, maybe I need to try a different sensor switch and see if the same problem persists.

Hello BERTP,

Thank you for your post!

Would you be able to send in photos of the double gang box to support@lutron.com? We would need to physically see the issue you are having to determine the root cause.

Julia K.