Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RadioRa 2 Essentials Advanced Settings Greyed Out

RadioRa 2 Essentials Advanced Settings Greyed Out

I'm running Essentials on a new install, looking for the Main Repeater. The Base IP address of the LAN is 10.0.0.0, and the router Gateway is at 10.0.0.1. I need to tell Essentials that, rather than its default of 192.168.1.1.
    That should be in Advanced Settings, but that whole menu block is greyed out. Can't find anything in a manual that unlocks it.
    Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

I am no expert, so really only questions for now. Did Essentials find the main repeater? If so does it show a 192.168.x.x IP? Do you have access to another router, preferably one already using 192.168.x.x.? Perhaps you could configure that router to work with the repeater IP and then try accessing the repeater with Essentials. If you can, and Advanced Settings works, then change the repeater IP to a static 10.0.0.x IP. Now go back to the original LAN network and see if it works.

Of course if changing routers doesn't work then I'm even less sure. Is it a factory new repeater? I think they can be reset with the triple tap method.

You have probably done a bit of research/searching already but in a Google search try the following with quotes: "advanced settings repeater site:lutron.com". Perhaps something will jump out at you.

Good luck and let us know if you find a solution.

By default, I think the repeater has DHCP enabled and will pick up an IP from the router -- which will be a 10.0.0.x IP. Essentials should automatically discover the repeater if you're on the same physical network and no firewalls are in the way. You shouldn't need to change the IP range in Essentials for that to happen.

It sounds like the issue is that Essentials isn't finding the repeater. I'd check your Windows Firewall, use ethernet to connect to the router (not WiFi), try connecting directly to the repeater from your laptop, etc.

Thanks Mike and Leslie,
    The Repeater is on the LAN fine; it's found the Gateway without problem. I can also ping the Repeater - there's no problem in reaching it ie no firewall or like issues. The challenge is with the Essentials software - it's looking in the wrong LAN IP range (192...). The fix is under Advanced Settings for Essentials, to use those Settings to tell Essentials where the Gateway is, so that it looks in the correct place. That dialogue is all there - but it's greyed out. That's what's very peculiar.

I could be wrong, but I think those advanced settings only become active after Essentials has found a repeater. Essentials looks for a repeater using protocols/ports that are sometimes blocked. The fact that you can ping the repeater means ICMP isn't blocked, but it doesn't guarantee discovery will be successful.
    - If your Windows firewall is turned on, try turning it off and attempt to discover the repeater again.
    - If you are on WiFi, try connecting to the router via ethernet.
    - The router could also be blocking the protocol that Essentials is using, which might necessitate connecting directly from the laptop to the repeater.

According to the documentation here DHCP is the factory default, so gt3mike is right. You said you could ping the repeater. Can you telnet into it? Telnet may not be active by default on Windows but can be made so. Open a command window and type telnet "IP you pinged to". If it works then the login is lutron and the password is integration (see page 29). On page 57 of the linked pdf document you will find ways to interrogate and set some Ethernet parameters, including IP address.

Thanks ihleslie. Yep, i can telnet in, and all of the MR IP settings are correct. And i'll believe the theory advanced here that the Advanced Settings are greyed until the MR is found. So, something mysterious is stopping Essentials from finding the MR. I've done all the documented diagnosis steps. My next step will be to get a different computer, running different version of Windows. If that doesn't work, maybe the router isn't allowing some particular DORA piece that Essentials needs. I'll let the thread know what i found. Thanks all - this has been very helpful

I don't know what it is or what it does but Multicast must be enabled on the network. Apple and some high-end/enterprise grade routers disable it by default. They also like to make it difficult to change by hiding the setting or calling it something else.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com